Find the Beauty in the Unfamiliarity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Everything is changing, I am changing and the idea of growth can be so scary but it is so necessary. I read somewhere once that, “if you’re not uncomfortable then you are not growing” and that is something I like to remind myself, that growth is uncomfortable but it is a necessary part of life. We must continue to change, if you feel at ease all of the time then you are not evolving. 

I thought that as I got older I would have everything figured out, that by twenty the people in my life would be my forever people and the place I lived would be my forever home but it seems that as time goes on I become less familiar with the world around me which feels overwhelming at times but I’ve come to realize how exciting that is. I have always held on to relationships that I should not have because of familiarity and unconditional love but as I grow and change I have learned that it is okay to out grow people. People’s lives move out different paces, growth comes at a different time for everyone and it would be naive to think that as you grow all of the people in your life will grow with you. It is not your job to halt your growth while you wait for them to catch up, you can continue to grow and evolve without them. 

Much like you might outgrow the people in your life you may also outgrow your environment. Some of the things I used to love doing and the places I used to love to spend my time no longer hold a place in my heart, i outgrew the environments, they were just much to small to allow for growth. 

Going to school out of state I am not sure where my forever home resides, and that is something that has created a lot of anxiety for me but now that excites me. As cheesy as it sounds the world is my oyster and I can continue to change and evolve until I find who I truly am, who my people are, and where I belong or maybe I never will and there is beauty in that as well, the idea that my life is forever changing and I am forever growing, the idea that as the years go by and the seasons change so can I. 

Change is scary but the only thing more scary then change is the idea of being stuck, stuck in a place that does not give you what you desire, stuck in relationships that are unfulfilling, or being stuck being a person you do not want to be. Do not let the unfamiliarity or the discomfort stop you from growing, you must continue to change and evolve in order to find your place in this world and to be who you really want to be. Change is inevitable so make it positive, make it a blessing in disguise. 

Hi! my name is Emma, I am a sophomore from Minnesota majoring in English for secondary education. I love to express myself and my opinions through creative writing and I also have a strong desire to make a positive impact on peoples lives which I hope can be accomplished through my writing, with that being said I could not be more excited about writing for Her Campus!