Fashion Edition Vol. 6

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

2017 LOOKS :

Dec. 4th was all about blazers and how this jacket has emerged into street style dress. Now, being that we are in the middle of December, it is now appropriate to talk about one of my favorite coat pieces. Fur has genuinely transformed winter looks. When designers initially released this distinct fashion not everyone was too happy with it. I’m sure as you can guess it was because the original fur coat, was made out of animal skin. Therefore, it was a style that did not catch everyone’s attention at first. As you could have guessed wearing fur is ridiculously warm and with the way that the coats are made now, insanely attractive. When someone wears a real fur, it is a big deal. These jackets can go for thousands of dollars. Although, as fur is a trend in the fashion world today the reason you see so many people taking advantage of the trend with their pieces is thanks to faux fur. A fake fur material is sold for as low as fifteen dollars. Faux fur has evolved to looking so real that unless you know what to look for one could not tell the difference on the spot.

If I had to pick three of my favorite fur materials they would be Husky, Sheep, and Sherpa. Specifically, sheep fur is what is seen most times on coats that included fur out linings like on the collar, cuffs, and bottom trimming. All can be found in fake fur forms. Something that has become popular is dyeing the fur so that there are more options other then the basic animal fur colors such as: beige, black, brown, grey, and white. Similar to my other editions, I continue to refer to my favorite fashion bloggers. Stephanie Abu- Sbeih, is one that has brought out some of my favorite fur coat pieces this winter.

With this first look Stephanie pairs a black husky fur that is rich in color to her outfit. All fur coats have a bulky fit, and to me, this adds to the fun of the look because it appears in the same way that its purpose is intended for and that is warmth.  By itself, something that looks cozy draws peoples attention, just like an appealing blanket would. The texture of the husky fur that Stephanie is wearing is enough to bring attention itself. Therefore, the most classic furs are the ones that are not patterned and that are natural colored.

However, I’m not saying that the dyed furs are not my favorite and you will see that in the outfits later on. One thing that I admire about Stephanie’s outfit pairings is that she puts them together in the same way that I would. For example, underneath the husky fur is a simplistic black t-shirt, and black leather pants outfit. Wearing a fur makes the statement of any outfit. Meaning, there is no need to outshine it with the rest of your clothes. If you notice, texture is an intriguing detail on any clothing. However, even when it is slight, you can imagine how adding patterns, designs, or clashing textures could make an outfit overwhelming. Differentiating between material is the exception, as you can see with Stephanie’s outfit, because she added leather to the look with her pants.

The next outfit incorporates the sheep fur coat, and this texture is one you can have the most fun with in terms of unnatural colors. Stephanie wears a pastel orange fur that has a distinct cut which includes a longer length in the front. Compared to the husky length, which resembled a bomber jacket fit this sheep fur coat models another style of fur. The sheep coat that Stephanie wears is matched with dark distressed denim and a plain white scope neck tee. She even adds a necklace piece and a purse, but again the details that she focuses on remain simple. The pastel orange reminds me of a neutral color because it flatters her complexion, which is what neutrals do best.

The last of my three favorite fur materials that I shared with you is the Sherpa fur. If you were wondering, this texture comes from a Yak, which is a animal that you probably do not see very often. Long length furs have strong appeal and Stephanie goes bold with a watermelon pink sheep fur. These materials make it look easy to experiment with different colors because it looks like foam. I appreciate the cut of this fur as well because it reminds me of a trench coat and, much like Beyoncé, this piece always looks fierce. Again, her outfit includes a basic tee, and pants.

One thing that I learn about observing other peoples styles is that there is at least one thing that you can learn from them, whether good or bad. Stephanie keeps her looks sophisticated even when she just incorporates playful posts on her Instagram. Primarily, I think that acquiring what appeals to you when it comes to outfits is significant when you are trying to find something trendy to wear. For instance, with the outfits that were discussed, I would have paired each one with some short boots. Although, for the Sherpa fur I think velvet over-the-knee boots would look amazing together. However, my boot choice would still be consistent with a simple outfit underneath my coat. Overall, it would resemble that sophisticated appearance that keeps me drawn to what Stephanie, and some of my other favorite fashion bloggers represent.

The time when fall gradually turns into winter is my favorite time of the year when it comes to the weather and the fashion. Unfortunately, the season’s change and fur coats are not one trend that can carry over into the warmer months. Fashion blogger Stephanie Abu-Sbeih lives in the Netherlands and has the opportunity to wear her furs consistently because it stays cold for so long. After writing in my column, I immediately want to shop around, and I hope that my thoughts on my favorite pieces spark your curiosity as well. Primarily, because it is finally the holiday season, so hopefully you have some more time on your hands. Recently, a follower of my column found me on Instagram and reached out to me. This truly warmed my heart, and as I was deciding on a trend for this week, her inspiration is what lead me to fur. I am going to end my 2017 Fashion Edition here today. Fur coats are the definition of unique, and if you do have your eye on one, I urge you to try it on. Then you’ll automatically fall in love with the fit, feel, and the statement that this 2017 LOOK brings.

I will definitely be bringing in the New Year with the looks of 2018!  

Fashion Edition // A

Her Campus Magazine// Fashion Edition Grand Canyon University. 20. Communication Major/Psychology Minor. Future PR manager for the fashion industry in NYC.