Fashion Edition Vol. 5

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

2017 LOOKS :

Dated back to Nov. 6th the most prominent trend details of this year were distinguished within 2017’s hottest fashion looks. Now that I have pinpointed oversized ripped, and frayed trend details in depth my next topic of interest is relevant to the time in the fashion year. It is right around the holiday season that internship opportunities, in particular with fashion titles are open for application. Therefore, what you wear is crucial, especially among this possible chance in one’s career. Blazers have a new meaning to them. Professionals are not the only ones that own this look because the fashion industry has defined sophisticated into a personality characteristic. For instance, blazers are our new casual, not just business casual, but lifestyle casual because aside from the business world fashion has incorporated it into its way of living. My personal opinion remains the same. The Europeans own this sophisticated style, and they are the influence of America’s put together ensembles, aside from the critical force that New York City brings to the fashion world.

Case in point, are established fashion bloggers Sara Sunita, Stephanie Abu-Sbeih, and street style Paris. All esteemed looks come from Austria, Germany, Amsterdam in the Netherlands, and Paris, France. These pages are shared through Instagram social media. One blazer look in particular that Stephanie Abu-Sbeih wears is a white three-quarters length down blazer that goes to the mid-calf on top of an all black street casual outfit just for a day out in the town. The outfit consisted of a lacey black spaghetti strap top, a chocker, and ripped black jeans. I admire this outfit because it is effortless, but the blazer made the look and highlighted the outfit with its distinctive pop of color.

Color is one aspect that has transformed the blazer into what it is now. Different from the basics of black, blue, and grey other equally popular ones are taupe, olive green, white, and even vibrant colors such as red and yellow. One more outfit that cannot be overlooked is again taken from Stephanie, including a more fitted black blazer with a graphic tee underneath, ripped black denim, but to top it all off, van sneakers. This outfit identifies an edgy style that is widely popular in pairings with a blazer because it is an effortless look that initiates a particular vibe. One presents themselves as well put together. Essentially, these looks are classic and it has changed the attire in the business casual world as well has how someone wants to come off to others.

The blazer is distinctive, but it is also versatile. Color was one aspect that has transformed this look, but another is cut. Three-quarter length, which lays right below the elbow or mid arm, wrist length, cropped width, down coat, and directly below the bottom, which is the traditional width are all examples of the appealing cuts that are offered for this piece. On another note, oversized clothing has clearly made an appearance in the fashion world making oversized blazers the latest fad. Dependent on what you pair your blazer with it, fit can either dress down or clean up a style.

An additional aspect is the details of a blazer, and those include the material and its accessories. Blazers are made out of suit material or one that resembles it, otherwise, it falls into the category of identifying with another form of jacket. As for the accessories, crunched up arms and the rear of the fit are incorporated into many of the jacket varieties. Buttons are the trademark accessory of the blazer, even though yes no accessory at all with just a straight across plain fit is ideal, but so are dramatic buttons. One, it gives someone the leeway to open or close their garment dependent on how they want to wear it, and two, buttons are another pop, like the color, that someone picks to make a statement of their outfit. The traditional buttons that are seen on blazers is made for suits. Even though, I am sure that you have made that connection already with the material that is used in a blazer. However, I have also seen big and round coin looking buttons usually in black that would be the first thing that someone would notice when looking at the jacket.

Something that all of the different forms of clothing allows is for each person to be their own, even if the trends are shared every piece is uniquely imperfect. If you notice, that is a familiar pattern in all of the preferred fashion of 2017 that I have made sure to publish in my fashion column so far. Notably, within the trend details its inconsistencies make them priceless. The evolution and leeway of blazers have also shifted the costs, and this means availability and price points are all across the board. This speaks for where to find the perfect blazer. Store options expand from Forever 21 all the way to Zara and if you are familiar with these stores there is at least a $30 difference in pricing, but quality over quantity should always out rule any fashion choice.

I am going to leave you with this for the week as blazers are a forever buy that one would not regret investing in for current and future career and style choices. You can play around with the blazer and really put your own flare on the piece, wherever you might be going. The blazer jacket is yet another crucial LOOK of 2017 and will poor over to the New Year that is creeping up within this next month.

Fashion Edition // A

Her Campus Magazine// Fashion Edition Grand Canyon University. 20. Communication Major/Psychology Minor. Future PR manager for the fashion industry in NYC.