This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

2017 LOOKS

My previous fashion column, dated back to September 24th, zeroed in on Levis and the image that this name has developed within the industry.

This week I want to elaborate on two-piece sets. First, I would like to acknowledge that this trend has extensively revolutionized pairing an outfit together. As for me, witnessing the matching tank top and shorts pattern was where this statement introduced itself. The designs were loud and too similar to even consider incorporating one of these sets into a regular fashion routine. At least, not without looking like a flower garden vomited on your body. Maybe this is an exaggeration, but the initial look was just too busy. When I use the terminology “flower garden” this does not mean that flowers were the only pattern option. However, this pattern trademarked the look.

It is evident that I was not too crazy about the idea at first. However, the sets started to reinvent themselves. Instead of busy patterns with loud colors, the designs became more straightforward with delicate colors. Different from just a tank top and shorts, the two-piece set style branched out. Top options acquired cropped t-shirts, halters, tube-tops, hooded tanks, and deep v- neck sleeveless alternatives. Whereas, the matching short bottoms shifted to mini and maxi skirt lengths, along with joggers and sweatpants. Furthermore, jumpsuits have made an appearance in these sets as well. Altogether, this style has adjusted its patterns, colors, and materials with positive responses from the public.

Typically, a two-piece set material is 100% delicate, but as the pairing options now spread out to all seasonal avenues they are made out of everything. The three materials that have particularly drawn my attention after stepping outside of the original trend are velvet, silk, and fleece. Now, if we got into a conversation about these fabrics, it would be apparent that velvet and silk have reinvented themselves from past decades of popularity. As well as the occasion in which you would wear them. The initial thought that comes to mind when I consider these patterns is that they are “sexy.” They are intriguing to the eye and represent a sense of individuality.

Recently, I added a two-piece silk set to my wardrobe. I was never too crazy about the patterned two-piece sets, but solids have easily dominated the style. Personally, I think it is incredibly flattering. Regardless, my two-piece is a neutral soft lavender that consists of a slim fit bralette crisscross top including a matching mini skirt bottom. This set shows skin and resembles the most recent look of the fashion year that is all about neutral colors, sleek materials, and a spicy appeal. Just from the silk material, one would probably think that my two-piece set is pretty fancy. However, that is what is so great about this look. The top is cut for appeal, and so is the scrunched upside of my mini skirt with added detail. There is no pattern, the set is made up of a single soft color, and the simplicity of the outfit with the incorporation of the material makes it a versatile piece for each season, occasion, or everyday outfit. The two-piece set is not specific to one brand. Instead, it is seen throughout the style of all major designers and fashion corporations that have made a distinct appearance this year. Alone, two-piece sets are the 2017 look.

Fashion Edition// A

Her Campus Magazine// Fashion Edition Grand Canyon University. 20. Communication Major/Psychology Minor. Future PR manager for the fashion industry in NYC.