Failure to Communicate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Almost every argument I’ve ever been in has started because one or both of us has miscommunicated or misunderstood something that was said. The steps to solve these arguments are incredibly simple and yet it seems like it’s one of the most difficult things to do. In this article, I’ll give you some tactics and methods to resolve arguments quickly and easily.

Listen

In arguments, we tend to feel like it is most important to get our points across and be heard but we rarely consider that the other person feels the same. Try taking a moment and truly hearing what the other person is saying. Maybe they are making a good point that you just hadn’t noticed.

Understand

Listening is only half the battle. The next step is understanding their point of view, especially if it doesn’t fall in line with yours. At the very least, understanding their perspective will broaden your perspective on the issue.

Communicate

It is critical to consider your words carefully because miscommunication tends to lead to more problems in the argument. Listening and understanding their points can help you word your perspective in such a way that the argument cools down into a discussion.

Apologize

Don’t wait for them to take initiative and apologize. Be aware of the part of the argument you are responsible for, and take the first step to apologize. This can be the most difficult aspect of an argument, and one option to overcome that is to think about what the other person means to you.

Don’t let a miscommunication or argument taint a meaningful relationship. Remember that the other person feels the same way and that in the long run, you probably won’t remember what you were arguing about in the first place. But you will remember how you handled the situation.

Majoring in dance education with a minor in business management, she aspires to write an award winning novel in the future.