Eyeshadow Tutorials for Every Naked Palette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Naked! Naked! Naked! If you think I’m talking about naked girls you have come to the wrong article, my friend. This article is for all the ladies that are slightly obsessed with Urban Decay’s Naked eyeshadow palettes. For $54 at Sephora, you can purchase one of these eyeshadow palettes that will change your makeup game forever. Naked 1, 2, 3, and Smoked are perhaps the most popular products in the makeup world, and have been for some time. They are especially favorited by the female college demographic. As a makeup lover and connoisseur, I have taken a look at some the best looks that you can achieve with these palettes. Pinterest is the Mecca for finding great eyeshadow styles and tutorials. I went through and found the best ones for you to try. Check out the different tutorials below on how to achieve a glamorous look for an event, night out, or even just to spice up your look.

Before we get to the eyeshadow it is important to prep the eye before application. I recommend putting on a primer to help set your makeup. You want your shadow to have all day coverage. I also suggest applying a concealer or white eye pencil over your lid. Why? Applying a light colored base to your eye will make any eye shadow that you put on really pop. It will also aid in keeping your shadow in place. I use the concealer Maybelline New York Age Rewind Eraser dark circles. You can get it from CVS Pharmacy, and it costs less than $10. I also use this concealer as my liquid highlight, so it would be a bargain to get two in one with this product.

When doing a dramatic eye look it is always best to pair with a mascara or eyeliner. I personally use a mascara, under eye eyeliner, and lid eyeliner. I think the combination of the three really help to make it look dramatic. For mascara I use Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Rockin’ Curves. For eyeliners I use e.l.f Kohl Eyeliner for under my eye and Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner for my lid liner. The e.l.f eyeliner comes with a smudge brush attached as well as a sharpener on the cap, which I love.

This eyeshadow from Naked 2 is great for a daytime look or if you want to wear a dramatic lip color. It’s a rule of thumb never to do both a dramatic eye shadow and a dramatic lip color as it will not flow well together and look extremely unnatural. Think dark smoky eye and red lips — not so flattering.

1. First, we are going to start with the inner corner of the eye. Take a small amount of FOXY and put just a small amount on the inner corner of your eye.

2. Next, take BOOTYCALL and go over where you just put FOXY. BOOTCALL has a shimmer to it so it will help the inner corner to stand out.

3. Now, it’s time to apply CHOPPER to your lid. After your brush gathers the powder, I highly recommend tapping any excess powder off. This is a dark color and you do not want the dark to go in places that it doesn’t belong.

4. Since we are not blending just yet, you should have a line where BOOTYCALL and CHOPPER meet. Go ahead and take your brush, and apply SNAKEBITE just over where those two shadows meet.

5. Now, take TEASE and apply along the crease of your eye.

6. Take your blending brush and eliminate any lines so that the shadow looks flawless.

7. Apply under-eye liner and mascara.

This is probably my favorite look from the OG Naked palette. This is my go to look for hitting up the bars on the weekends or going to a club. It’s just the right amount of smoky and the perfect amount of glam.  These colors especially compliment dark eyes, so if you are looking to accentuate your natural eye color I suggest going with this eye shadow.

1. First, we are going to start with the tear duct. Take a tiny amount of HALF BAKED and apply to your tear duct. Make sure that this color only goes here, and here only.

2. Take SIN and apply to the inner lid. Follow this by applying TOASTED to the mid lid.

3. Now we are going to be moving on to dramatically darker colors, so I encourage you to use a separate brush(es) for these next steps. In the outer crease apply DARKHORSE. Make sure to be as even as possible and make sure the outer creases match on both sides. Not doing so will make you look lopsided.

4. Next, take HUSTLE and apply along your crease line. Take BUCK and add a small amount to your above crease.

5. Taking a separate brush, highlight your brow bone with VIRGIN.

6. Take your blending brush and smooth all of the shadows so there are no lines.

7. Apply eyeliner to under eye, lid, and mascara.

I love, love, love, this look. I’m so happy Naked 3 is all about pink colors and hues. This eyeshadow look is bright and playful. I especially favor this look because you get to pair it with false eyelashes. Who doesn’t like playing around with those? I don’t know about you, but I feel like Beyoncé when I put my false lashes on. Anyway, let’s get down to business.

1. For this look, we’re going to start with NOONER. Apply this to your above crease. Do not apply along your entire crease.

2. Next take STRANGE to your tear duct, inner lid, and brow bone.

3. For your entire lid apply BUZZ. This is the color that is really going to make your eye pop.

4. Using only a small amount of BLACK HEART, apply to the outer lid. Be very careful with this step. The eyeshadow is black and it can unnecessary reapplication if you get it in the wrong spots.

5. Take your blending brush and smooth altogether.

6. Now it’s time for lashes! Depending on what brand you buy, follow their directions for easy applications. I like to use a small amount of glue and apply with my fingers, but everyone is different.

7. Apply a light layer of mascara to blend your natural lashes and your fake eyelashes together, to make look more natural.

8. Lastly, apply your eyeliners. 

This look is a favorite of mine from the Naked Smoky palette. I like this look because you get the best of both worlds — light makeup with still a dramatic effect. This is an everyday smoky eye that you can pull off in any setting. If you want to make it more dramatic, all you have to do is add more eyeliner and mascara to give you a completely different look. Perfect for if you’re going from work to happy hour.

1. Using THIRTEEN, apply to the inner corner of your eye.

2. Next, sweep PASSWORD along the crease.

3. Apply HIGH to the inner corner of the eye.

4. Finish with a light top lid eyeliner and mascara. 

President of the Her Campus Chapter at Grand Canyon University. I am a Senior at GCU majoring in Government. I love adventures, horses and Nutella!