This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Do you ever feel like certain standards just don’t apply to you? Maybe they never will or maybe they only work in certain situations, for certain people? 

Don’t diet…BUT eat healthy and see results. Don’t settle, but find your soulmate by 25. “Ring by spring!” Follow the rules, but live life without limits! Work your hardest, but save time for leisure and relaxation. The dollar is just an object, but everything costs money…and so on and so forth. 

I believe there is a very fine line between the idea of having fun and doing whatever you want, however, also living with strict limits and structure.The structure that aligns with society’s expectations and standards, that don’t usually apply to everyone. All of our actions come with reactions. 

A double standard is defined as, “A rule or principle which is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups.” 

I see this in so many areas of our lives. Being friendly and approachable yet we have to give people space and not come across as clingy. Approaching life with a plan but also you need to let it just hit you in the moment. 

In our society, it is almost impossible to live without double standards or even live intentionally without judgement! There is always something to do or live up to. There is always going to be something that applies to one person but cannot apply to another for obvious reasons. I believe this is where individuality comes in.

It is so important and can really boost your confidence when you are your OWN person. When you do things your way, even if it is a little different. Being liked and following other people because you feel like you have to look or be a certain way is boring and lame. 

This can start with the little things you do every day. Get your own stickers. Create your own fashion. Join your own groups, heck, create them! I think we have this idea that we have to do what our friends are doing or what our peers and classmates are interested in, but that is not the case. Being your own person makes you spicy and individualistic. 

Being your own person can also motivate people around you to find themselves without following trends. We are all individuals and if we were all ourselves imagine how much we could teach and learn from the people around us. How would you dress without limits? How would you do your hair or makeup? 

It is obvious that this motto doesn’t and won’t apply to every situation. That’s a double standard in itself. Sometimes we follow other people because we are encouraged, or they seem to be doing the right thing. Sometimes we do things our friends do because we are genuinely interested, or we want to build community and fellowship. However, I think staying individual, spicy, and on your own path is vital to success and finding out who we are as college students. 

Hi! My name is Savanna Kerr. I was born in Hawaii/grew up in Seattle. I attend GCU and I am studying professional writing and psychology. I was previously a journalist and eventually head editor for my school newspaper in high school called The Kolus. I am looking forward to being on this team!