This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Feeling anxious when you are out and about on campus can be extremely overwhelming. It often feels difficult to ground yourself when you are in class, especially when you don’t want to draw attention to yourself or your anxiety. One simple sensory grounding technique is an anxiety kit. It engages all five senses in order to bring your focus back to the present. Here are some of my favorite portable items to pack in an anxiety kit.

Taste

Tasting something that you enjoy can relieve anxiety because the enjoyment releases serotonin. Try to pack small foods so that you can easily store them in your bag.

• Gum in your favorite flavor. Chewing something for a long time can release tension in your body, plus the delicious flavor brings you joy.
  • Fun-sized candies. Hard candies are the best for me since I can suck on them for a while and focus on eating instead of anxious thoughts.

smell

Smelling a scent that brings you comfort can stabilize your body. Plus, breathing deeply to inhale the scent is a sneaky way to calm yourself down.

• Essential oils like lavender or peppermint. They are small and easy to rub behind your ears or on your inner wrist for maximum scent potential.
  • Hand sanitizers with scents you love. The scent will positively engage your brain and also be pleasurable to smell.

Sound

If the situation allows it, pop in earbuds and listen to some music. Make an easy-to-locate playlist that is specifically dedicated to your sensory kit. Listen to songs that are relaxing or uplifting. Here are some songs on my playlist:

• breathin by Arianna Grande. This song always reminds me to take deep breaths and calm down.
  • Folklore album by Taylor Swift. I listen to my favorite artist to uplift my mind. This album in particular is relaxing and helps release some tension in my body.
  • Bloom by The Paper Kites. Relaxing songs are the best way for me to de-escalate the fight or flight instincts happening because of anxiety.  

Touch

Touching something stimulating works wonders for reducing anxiety. Fidgeting with an item that has an interesting texture or feeling helps the brain refocus and shift away from anxiety. I give you full permission to go to the dollar aisle and kids’ section at Target and touch everything!

• Slime. Kids love slime for a reason! Slime is extremely engaging and by squishing or stretching it around, you are releasing anxious tension. 
  • Play-dough. Just like slime, play-dough is a wonderful tool to release tension and engage your sense of touch.
  • A stuffed animal. If stuffed animals brought you comfort as a child, they can have the same effect for you as a young adult. A keychain with a plush animal is great to squeeze or pet in order to self-soothe.

Sight

Of all the senses, sight has the most options to add to the anxiety kit. Here are several routes you can take to engage your brain through sight:

• If the situation allows it, watch a show. Completely disengaging your brain from the situation by watching a show can be useful when feeling anxious. However, make sure you are being mindful of your body. If you find yourself frequently using television as a way to escape the reality of your emotions and sensations, please reach out to a licensed therapist for help.
  • Find all the items around you that have your favorite color. This option doesn’t need anything added to your kit. Simply find everything around you that is your favorite color. It will help ground you to the space you are in instead of only dwelling in the anxiety.
  • Make sure your touch item is visually stimulating as well. If your slime, play-dough or stuffed animal is a fun or bright color, your brain can simultaneously process these senses to ground you in moments of anxiety.

To finish up your anxiety kit, find a cute bag to put all your items in. Remember, if you find yourself struggling with anxiety often, reach out to a licensed therapist for help. You are not alone in your struggles, and peace is attainable!

Hi! I'm Abrielle. I'm a freshman at GCU studying Communications.