Style

Diversity in the Zendaya x Tommy Hilfiger Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

If you are a millennial or gen-Zer, you probably have heard of Zendaya.  From seeing her on Disney Channel in shows like Shake it Up and K.C. Undercover; to watching her in movies like The Greatest Showman, Spiderman Homecoming, and Spiderman Far From Home.  Even more recently in her HBO teen drama, Euphoria, she is becoming one of the most well-known and influential Hollywood stars of this generation. Aside from acting she also sings, is the new face of Lancôme, and has even taken on designing and collaborating with Tommy Hilfiger, to create the Zendaya x Tommy collection.  The second collection debuted earlier this month at Paris Fashion Week, while the first one debuted Spring 2019.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-week/a28963606/zendaya-tommy-hilfiger-harlem-fashion-week/

The new collection made its way across the runway at the Apollo Theater in Harlem, New York on September 8th.  It gives off seventies power and glam vibes, with bootcut jeans, velvet coats, leather blazers, stiletto heel high boots, and more. The actress was very involved with the creation of the collection.  She helped create ideas for looks and picked from a variety of fabrics and designs as well as being hands-on with the development of the fashion line. She was also heavily involved with the execution of the show and helped to pick the location, music, models and more. Zendaya made sure that those modeling the clothes at fashion week were as diverse as those who would wear the clothes in real life; which is exactly what happened. The fashion show included 59 different models of different ages, sizes, races, backgrounds, and gender identities.  When asked about the importance of diversity in an exclusive Access interview she said, “When you have the opportunity to give others the opportunities and open doors for others I think that’s what you’re really… what I feel like I’m meant to do.”

Those modeling the clothes in the Zendaya x Tommy runway included: Winnie Harlow, a model known for her beautiful and unique skin that is a result of vitiligo;  Ashley Graham, a plus-size model who is currently pregnant and showed off her baby bump at the fashion show; Candice Swanepoel, a Victoria’s Secret model; Hamila Aden, a model who is noted for proudly wearing her hijab in all her works, and JoAni Johnson, a 68-year-old model who rocks runways and magazine covers with her long grey hair.

The clothes in the collection also mirror the inclusiveness of the fashion show, with the sizes available ranging from 2 to 22.  Many of the clothing articles even have identical adaptive versions, with velcro and magnets, made for an easier wear for those with physical disabilities. The Zendaya x Tommy fashion show was not just a display for a new collection of clothing, but a display of diversity, empowerment, and representation.  With progressive and creative people like Zendaya changing the standard of beauty in Hollywood, it is a step in the right direction towards a more inclusive, open, and diverse future.

Sources:

“Why Zendaya Champions Diversity In All Her Projects: ‘It’s Important To Walk The Walk’ (EXCLUSIVE).” YouTube, Access, 9 Sept. 2019, www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrBET2WPWPo.

Hey! My name is Lauren. I am a communications major at Grand Canyon University. I just want to enjoy life and travel.
A sophomore Communications major at GCU who is passionate about Jesus, writing, watching Netflix, and taking long walks to the campus Chick-Fil-A.