This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

As November rolls by, it gets chilly, the smell of warm spices and pumpkin cloud the student building hallways, and extra blankets pile up in living rooms. November is the start of many things and the ending of many more. Some classes finally start to make sense, and for others, the homesickness starts to kick in. Fall, or as the Brits call it “Autumn,” is full of many colors and cheers and simultaneously can be accompanied by numerous stressors and demotivating situations. 

Fall signifies the harvest, and for those living in seasonal environments, familiar scents, sounds, and colors paint their natural ecosystems. All in all, fall is one of the most serene and snuggly seasons there is, and for many, it is their favorite time of the year. At the same time, when this season rolls around, so does seasonal depression, and at GCU this is an exam and assignment-heavy season as well. So, as warmth becomes what the body craves, studying and completing assignments become the prime concerns. When faced with this dilemma, often either the grades drop or the mental health drops.

If the Fall experience is something you treasure, but you still want superb grades, here are some things a GCU student can pursue to maintain that blissful balance.

Health first!

Whether it is our physical, mental, or spiritual health, all these variations of health are essential for the human body, soul, and mind. Going to the many gyms on campus would be a great idea to maintain your physical health. Signing up for a campus fitness class is also a great way to include accountability. For your mental health, taking time to reflect on life is a great start, and utilizing the Student Health Center on campus is another one as well. Lastly, for your spiritual health, the GCU campus is full of peaceful locations where one can take time to reflect. Since the campus’ general religion is Christianity, there are plenty of resources such as worship nights, Bible studies, Chapel, The Gathering, Sanctuary, and many more that can help strengthen your spiritual health.

Go to class! 

This is a big struggle when the chill of fall starts to hit, especially for the morning classes. The best way to avoid this is by making friends in class or even getting to know the professor or IAs. Class is where most of the information comes from, and becoming acquainted with the professor can make it easier to attend office hours when you do miss class to make catching up on schoolwork a lot smoother. Personally, having friends in class is a motivator because of my excitement to see them, so missing class is less likely to happen.

Take a break!

Sometimes taking a break can be hard to do when jammed with one assignment after another, and sometimes having a job can also reduce or remove the time to relax. If you find yourself in this position, it is best to try adding time to rest to your morning or night routine. Some students like to include fun days in the week when they go to Sweet Disciple and get some delicious frozen yogurt, while others schedule regular time to catch up with friends. Breaks can look different for everyone, but they are essential for the wellbeing of a student. They promote reflection, rest, and recharging, which are all crucial to the fueling of a student’s daily life.

So dear student, pick any idea from above that will help you achieve your blissful balance at GCU, and enjoy the fall and soon-to-come Thanksgiving season!

Hi, I'm Redempta Umutoni, I like to call myself a true citizen of the world. I've had the privilege of calling three continents home. To present myself, my journey began in Rwanda, where I took my first steps, and then I was raised in the vibrant culture of Kenya. Currently, I am attending Grand Canyon University, a marvelous and flourishing gateway to endless possibilities. Throughout my life, I've had the incredible opportunity to travel extensively, collecting a tapestry of unforgettable memories along the way. I believe it is my calling to share the boundless beauty and diversity of our planet with the world. As a psychology major, I stand at the edge of an exciting premedical journey. My passions are as diverse as the places I've called home and scale numerous bundles of interests. I am deeply curious about the human mind, and I'm equally committed to making a positive impact on the world and mainly women through medicine. I see these two passions intertwining in a way that allows me to heal not only the body but also the soul. Writing has been my constant companion since childhood and inevitably, my heart and mind are brimming with stories and poems that are eager to be set free. My childhood homes have been treasuring troves of my creative expressions, and now, I'm ready to share these tales with Her Campus and the rest of the world. A global explorer, a future healer, and a storyteller with a mission to inspire and enchant. Join me on this remarkable journey as I unveil the beauty, wisdom, and wonder I have discovered throughout my extraordinary life.