This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Dear Mom,

Words cannot describe how thankful I am for you.  As I have been away at college my appreciation and love for you has continued to grow. I am so proud that you are my mom. You have always been my best friend, only parent, the bread winner, and the person who always puts my life back together. When I look back at the past I think of all the times I never listened to you when I should have. I think of all the heartbreak I could have avoided if I had just listened to your wise advice. I think about all the times you stood up for me even when I knew I was in the wrong. I am sorry for all those nights I made you cry. I am sorry for all those fights we got into that were stupid. Even though I am almost 21, I still need you. I do not think I will ever not need you.

As a child, I was always a drama queen like you said. You’ve let me have independence and make my own decisions since I could remember. You taught me how to be independent and to stand up for myself. As I sit in class, I think about what I am learning, I think about my professors, I think about the friends I have made, and I realize none of that would be possible without you. I could not be in college if it weren’t for you. You have always made sure I had what I wanted or what I needed. You always find a way to take care of me even when I know you may not have it. 

You have always taken care of me — one day I want to be able to fully take care of you. I hope you understand I will always need you, Mom. I was given the amazing heart you have for other people. I have your kindness instilled in me because you planted that seed. Thank you for making my life so amazing, and thank you for giving me all the opportunities you have given me. Most importantly, thank you for loving me even though I mess up. Thanks for being the best mom in the world. Mommy, I love you!

Love,

Your little girl