Style > Beauty

Curly Hair Care 101: Tips for Defining Your Curls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Curly hair is beautiful, unique, and full of personality. Yet, my fellow curly-haired and wavy-haired girlies know that caring for our curls can sometimes be challenging. While I was born with naturally curly hair, it took me a while to figure out how to care for it properly. For those of you looking for new techniques to care for your hair, here are some tips and tricks I have learned over the years with my hair. Yes, these tips can also be used for those with wavy hair!

UNDERSTAND YOUR CURLS

Curly hair looks different for everyone. It comes in many different types, from loose waves to tight coils. Therefore, it’s important to learn about your specific curl pattern and what it needs. For me specifically, I have a 3B curl pattern. My hair has different needs and hair products than someone with 2B or 4B type hair. While this step may seem simple, it is essential for your curly hair journey. Take some time to experiment and figure out what works best for your curls.

If you are curious about your curl pattern, here is a comprehensive guide!

FIND THE RIGHT PRODUCTS

Before starting my curly hair-care routine, I didn’t care as much about what products I used; however, I was completely wrong. The products you use are a significant factor in defining your curls. Ideally, you want to avoid any kinds of shampoos and conditioners with sulfates and other chemicals in them. Curly hair is already coarse and drier than straight hair. When using sulfate-based shampoos, they often make curly hair drier. If you aren’t sure what products you should use, here are some recommendations:

DITCH THE BRUSH

Get rid of that brush once and for all! While I love Hermione Granger, I wouldn’t want her hair. Using a brush on your curls makes your hair big and frizzy and ruins your curl pattern.

Detangling curly hair can be a daunting task. Instead of damaging your hair with your favorite hairbrush, use your fingers because they are gentler. Using your fingers gives you more control over your hair and less breakage.

The best way to comb your hair with your fingers is by separating small sections of wet hair and working your way from the ends to the roots. Use a wide-tooth comb for those massive knots you can’t simply get out with your fingers if you need to. This step will take a while, so be patient.  

PROTECTION

It is always a bad feeling when you wake up to tangled and frizzy hair. I feel you. There are many ways to help prevent this from happening. One of my favorite techniques is to get a microfiber towel. After washing your hair, flip it down. When your head is still upside down, squeeze your hair using the microfiber towel. Doing this will help your hair dry nicely and reduce frizz when your hair is dry.

Another way to protect your hair is to invest in a silk pillowcase, scrunchies, or even a silk bonnet. Silk is smooth and helps reduce the number of knots and damaged ends when you sleep. I like to put my hair up into a high ponytail (known as a pineapple) using a silk scrunchie. This way, my hair isn’t in the way when I sleep, and I can elevate my roots a little.

TRIM THOSE ENDS

Finally, trimming the ends of your hair occasionally is very important for its health. The longer your hair is without getting trimmed, the unhealthier it will look, and it will start losing much of its volume and definition. This is because your hair will start stretching out when there is more weight. While it depends on your hair type, visit the salon every few months. I go in about every six months unless I have a special occasion.

Caring for your curly or wavy hair is not for the faintest of hearts. While these steps may take a little longer than expected, at the end of the day, it is worth every minute. By understanding your hair’s needs, you can learn to love and appreciate your curls like never before. Toss aside those straightening irons and embrace your curls’ natural beauty!

Ireland has always loved words, telling stories and being creative. This is why she is majoring in Professional Writing with a minor in Advertising and Graphic Design at GCU. When she is not writing (which is rare), you can usually find her nose inside a book, crocheting, drinking chai tea lattes or spending time with her tight-knit family and her dog named Lilly.