This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

What Is Cuffing Season?

Google’s definition of cuffing season is “the cold autumn and winter months seen as a period when it is especially desirable to enter into a romantic relationship.” It’s common to see new relationships start around this time of year because people want a companion to hide indoors with or to bring to their family holiday gatherings. I’m sure many of you have experienced the uncomfortable encounter of a relative asking if you are in a relationship as you’re trying to peacefully enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner. 

I’m here to tell you that just because it’s cuffing season, it doesn’t mean you need to be cuffed. I’m sure you already know this, but it can be easy to forget when you see those couples walking around campus holding hands or flaunting their relationship on social media. The matching plaid pajamas around Christmas are the worst for me personally. Honestly, I do find myself wishing I had someone around during these months. As it gets colder outside, it’s natural to want a companion to simply cuddle and watch movies with.

Channel Your Boss Girl

Fortunately, if you are a college student like me, there are plenty of things to keep you busy. Stay focused on your studies and career path. College is time-consuming; you should have enough work to keep you occupied. And if you have a light workload, consider joining a club to meet new people, to network, or to simply just have something to do. 

Hang With The Girls

This may be morbid, but my favorite part of getting OUT of a relationship is reconnecting with my friends. Romantic relationships take up a lot of time and often cause people to see their friends less. When you are single, you have all the time in the world. You can finally follow through with plans you’ve been wanting to do with your closest friends. Do cute fall and winter activities with them and enjoy the season of life you are in. 

Get Artsy 

The colder months are also a good time to pick up any hobbies that you’ve been wanting to start. During the summer we usually want to be outside to enjoy the warmth and to not waste the opportunity for a beach or pool day. But during the winter, there are fewer things we can do outside, leaving us with extra downtime indoors. If you are an artsy person, painting, coloring, or crocheting are simple and fun activities to do. And with crocheting, you can make yourself a cute hat to keep yourself warm or make something to give to a friend for the holidays! 

Take Yourself On Dates 

Being alone during these times can help you look forward to when you do find someone. Once you get into a fulfilling relationship, you’ll think back to the years and seasons that you were alone and maybe even appreciate them. Being alone is important for us to understand ourselves better which will help us in future relationships. If there’s an activity you wish you could do with a significant other, do it yourself! Take yourself to dinner, set the vibe, and watch a spooky movie. You’re good company, so take advantage of it. Stay positive and enjoy the time you have with yourself.

Lauren is a professional writing student at GCU and will graduate with her bachelor's degree in Spring 2024. She loves skateboarding, watching films, doing most anything with her friends and spends her summers at her favorite beaches in Malibu.