This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

“Your faith should be as important as your cup of coffee in the morning”  

Many college students will agree that, they would not make it to their morning classes if it wasn’t for a beautiful blessing from the heavens: coffee. Coffee can make you go from feeling like a slug to someone who can accomplish the impossible (aka getting up for that 7 A.M.). Is coffee the only answer though?

Let me be the first one to tell you that coffee has gotten me through more than I can remember but there is something else that always seems to beat it: God. Having faith in the Lord is something that I have found time and time again to get me spiritually rejuvenated and energized for my day. Whenever I reach for my Bible in the morning, I know that I’m in for a treat, because I am going to find multiple tips and encouragements. That iced coffee is sweet, but the love of our Lord and Savior is sweeter.

With all this in mind, I know it can be hard with such busy schedules. College is hectic! From managing friends, school work, activities, church groups and more; things can get a tad messy. So here are five tips to make sure you’re still able to get “God& me time.”

1.Mobile-App

Let’s face it! Our generation is known for always being on their cell phones. This can come in handy if we don’t always have our Bibles on us. With the free Bible app, you can read anywhere and at any time. You can read on your way to class in the morning or right before you go to bed. You can also turn on daily notifications that remind you to open up your app!

2. Bible Study with Friends

Being social is great, and there is nothing better than chatting with friends. Schedule a day out of your week where you can meet up with a couple of them for coffee and talk about what you’ve been reading that week. Let them know both praises and requests you might have, and go through this journey together. This will not only give you initiative to get your readings done, but excitement for your friends as well. As it says in Matthew 18: 20 “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

3. Schedule Time for the Lord

Many times, we get so caught up in our planners and to-do lists that we forget about the important things. If your someone who finds comfort in planning out their tasks, make sure to write in your planner something like “open Bible” or “spend time with God today.” Designated time for God is something that we eventually hope to become a habit. If you are someone who does not use planners, set a notification on your phone so you can have a reminder throughout your busy day!

4. Journal

There are people whom enjoy journaling and taking notes. If you are one of them, encouraging yourself to make time with God that is unique to you. Grab a journal, and after you read your scripture for the day take notes in it, reflect or draw pictures. This could help your creative side come out, while allowing you to process the word in a way best for you.

5. Wake up earlier

I know waking up early is awful, especially after spending a long night doing homework or hanging with friends. Waking up 10 minutes earlier can change your whole perspective of the day. Finding and cutting out time in the morning for God, while having your morning cup of joe, can help start any day off on a positive note. Encouraging yourself  not to hit snooze, and make time for God just like you do for that latte. 

Christ, Coffee, & Classic novels.
Fourth year Communications major who cares deeply about skin care and Harry Styles.