This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving has passed, we can stop arguing about when it’s appropriate to celebrate Christmas and start preparing for it! The weather during this season is different depending on where you live. Arizona has finally cooled down enough to use the cold as an excuse to stay in and watch movies or binge-watch your favorite television shows. Here is a list of my favorite and most comforting holiday films and episodes from a few television shows. 

Movies

Christmas with the Kranks 

This is my all-time favorite holiday movie. To sum it up, it is about the Kranks, who plan to “skip” Christmas and go on a cruise instead since their only daughter can’t celebrate with them. Their neighbors are very bothered by this, and the movie is full of their struggles while trying to avoid Christmas. The movie is set in Illinois for the perfect snowy atmosphere, and the decorations and Christmas lights are beautiful. Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis are the ideal actors for this wholesome and funny couple. You can watch this movie on Amazon Prime.

Elf

This one is obvious and one of the most popular Christmas movies. I’ve seen it many times, but I won’t forget watching it for the first time as a kid. Will Ferrell is hilarious in this heartwarming film. You can watch this movie on Max.

It’s a Wonderful Life

If you want an old-school vibe, this is the perfect classic. When I was a kid, my parents made us sit down and watch this movie every year on Christmas Eve. At first, I was annoyed and bored by this black-and-white movie and would instead be watching something like Elf. But as I got older, I started to appreciate the message this film sends. Some scenes can be challenging to manage, but it’s worth it if you make it to the end. You can watch this movie on Amazon Prime.

Little Women

Celebrating Christmas with the March sisters is a great way to get into the holiday spirit. There is snow and beautiful Christmas decorations to get you in the mood. 

TV Shows

Friends 

Friends episodes are great if you want to watch a show with a colder setting as it is set in New York City:

• Season 2, Episode 9: “The One With Phoebe’s Dad” 
  • Season 3, Episode: “The One Where Rachel Quits”
  • Season 7, Episode 10: “The One With the Holiday Armadillo”

New Girl

New Girl is a great show to watch if you live in warmer weather during the holidays and want people to relate to:

• Season 1, Episode 9: “The 23rd”
  • Season 2, Episode 11: “Santa”
  • Season 4, Episode 11: “LAXmas”
  • Season 6, Episode 10: “Christmas Eve Eve”

Gossip Girl

There are only two holiday episodes out of the six seasons, so they should be treasured:

• Season 1, Episode 11: “Roman Holiday”
  • Season 2, Episode 12: “It’s a Wonderful Life” 

Of course, you can choose from many other Christmas movies, especially those created by Hallmark. However, hopefully, this will be an excellent start to get you into the holiday spirit!

Lauren is a professional writing student at GCU and will graduate with her bachelor's degree in Spring 2024. She loves skateboarding, watching films, doing most anything with her friends and spends her summers at her favorite beaches in Malibu.