A Change of Direction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

A compass is an instrument used to navigate an individual towards a specific destination. Walking down a path without guidance causes us to wander and get lost. There are times in our lives where we are going to feel broken, confused and downright unhappy. Sometimes there are arrows that point towards different paths, and which one you choose will determine your intuition. Given the choice of a path that is desolate and spooky, while the other is full of life and inviting, we would take the second option without hesitation. However, God often calls us to walk through the intimidating path because he knows that there is something pleasant waiting for us on the other side. When we put our trust into his hands, he will be our compass and direct us towards his unconditional love.

Psalm 37:23: “The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.” The compass always points towards a true north because it is drawn towards the earth’s magnetic field. Our “true north” is seeking our attention towards Jesus’ word. Through worship he will clarify which path is a priority for you to take. If you are feeling disoriented in the darkness, remember that there is a savior who will always harmoniously walk with you, no matter how terrified or anxious you feel.

Abbie Carnes is a Junior at Grand Canyon University. She is an elementary education major and believes that learning is the key to success. She has a strong passion for writing, drawing, reading, and music. Even with her strong tendency to wander, God always directs her paths towards his goodness.