Can You Keep Your New Year’s Resolution?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Happy New Year everyone! Each year, 41% of Americans make a New Year’s Resolution, and a similar percentage is expected for 2023. However, of this 41%, only 9%-12% successfully keep their New Year’s Resolution. Of those who make a New Year’s Resolution, a third of them fail in the first month. Can you make it through January?

Here’s a graph from a 2020 survey on the most common New Year’s Resolutions:

y1VPPkNg8bOzlbgjkCrVrfnfzIkzEB30xtkSFm9jCK0jaxl3koO 0ZqGLpszugz1Or F4EXr8pj9 d0bDVec OOQ3bvf7tzuNLecwGNEasDlwnUMcTLKL0g2pMhZ5Wci

A large-scale experiment on New Year’s resolutions: Approach-oriented goals are more successful than avoidance-oriented goals | PLOS ONE

A few of the main reasons people are unable to keep their resolutions are lack of time, lack of motivation, or simply forgetting that they made one. It’s important to have some form of accountability when making a New Year’s Resolution. Keeping a goal for 12 consecutive months can be difficult, but it’s not impossible.

To be a part of that 9%-12% of people who successfully keep their New Year’s resolutions, here are a few tips:

Make a reasonable goal

A majority of those who set a New Year’s resolution pick two things to focus on, but the percentage of those who successfully keep their goal is much higher for those who choose two correlating goals and even higher for those who only set one goal. Choosing something you can either work into your schedule or easily take out makes you much more likely to actually achieve it.

On top of that, when picking a goal, make sure it’s doable. A lot of people pick their goals with unrealistic expectations and standards, like trying to lose more weight than safely possible in a year or doing something that would need more time than what is available to them. Pick something that pushes you, but still fits into your schedule and makes you feel successful.

Set a schedule

Making a set schedule and time to keep up with the New Year’s Resolution makes you overall more likely to be successful. This could be setting a daily/weekly alarm on your phone to remind you, circling the days on a physical calendar, or something else. It’s been proven that having a form of accountability makes you more successful.

Find someone to keep you accountable

Another form of accountability would be a person. Whether you made your New Year’s Resolution with them or choose to tell them about it later, letting someone know what your goal is will keep you more motivated to complete it, especially if that person pushes you to be successful. Choose your people wisely.

Choosing to do a New Year’s Resolution and sticking to it can be a great way to stay motivated throughout the year and continue to grow, even during rough stages. It can improve mental health, especially if you have an accountability partner reminding you to keep working towards your goals. The majority of New Year’s Resolutions also have physical benefits, whether that’s from eating healthy or deciding to consistently exercise, so it can keep you in better shape both physically and mentally.

Keep track of your progress. See if you can be a part of that small percentage that keeps their Resolution. With a reasonable goal, people cheering you on, and your own determination, you’re guaranteed to succeed. Happy New Year! You’ve got this!

Danyka Burrill is a freshman at Grand Canyon University and she is majoring in Justice Studies. Her debut, dystopian novel, Hopeless, came out on amazon and indiebound in March of 2022 and she is currently working in a sequel.