This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Should you start a blog?

Starting a blog is a fun way to show yourself off and to have a public portfolio of who you are and what you are passionate about. Blogs are a great way to express yourself, communicate, and network with others. You are showing off something you are interested in or enjoy doing, and it is a great opportunity to communicate with others you may never meet. If a blog sounds interesting to you, it may be time to start one.

Why blog?

Blogging is a way to show a part of your life to others and have what could essentially be a public diary. You can share your interests and extend information to other people who are interested. A blog does not have to be large, or simple, or anything but what you want it to be. You can simply practice your writing skills and show off what you are interested in without it being a big thing. Write what you enjoy and see where it takes you. Plus, it gives you the opportunity to look back and enjoy the progress and growth you have made as a writer. This online portfolio can help you so much, and you may not even realize it.

How to blog

The best way to get started with blogging is to just start typing. Write about your interests, write about your life, write about whatever makes you happy. Write with the mindset that no one may read it. This mindset will allow you to be okay with however many readers you may have. Write because it is something you love, not because you want a reward. The reward is your expression of creativity. There are many free sites to create a blog on, and it does not have to be large. Write every day, once a week, or once a month. Do it as a creative outlet and enjoy the process of writing. The main way to blog is to enjoy it.

Topics to write about

There are so many different things to blog about! Here are some examples:

-Fun places to go (could be local or global, just discuss places you enjoy and why you like them)

-Baking/ cooking recipes (everyone enjoys a good recipe, teach people how to cook their favorite meals or their new favorite meals)

-Share daily routines (people love seeing what others do in their lives, whether it be night or morning routines, or just a full day in your life)

-Bucket list ideas (show exciting things that you can do that can be once in a lifetime experiences)

-Favorite things (Explain your favorite books, movies, tv shows, and give reviews and show people that they should enjoy your favorite things as well)

-Passions (Talk about the things that you love and why you love them. This gives you so much room to talk about all the things that you love)

Overall, if starting a blog is something that you are thinking of doing, it is time to get started!

Hi! My name is Makenna, and I am the GCU Her Campus correspondent. I am a senior majoring in business management, and I am from Arizona! I love reading, writing, and being a part of Her Campus GCU!