Wellness > Health

Bored Of All The Fast Food Options? There’s Plenty Of Better Food Options Out There…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Studies suggest that seven in ten college students eat at fast food chains daily. Although fast food is quick and easy to get, it can have a negative impact on students’ health and day-to-day life. Students getting nutritious meals typically helps them perform better academically. It is normal for college students to not eat the usual three meals a day as well, which causes low energy levels throughout their days. 

An easy healthy dorm meal option is eggs. Eggs are a healthy breakfast option that can be made in several ways such as in omelets, breakfast burritos, or just with toast. Don’t live in an apartment with a stovetop? That’s okay. Eggs can be made on little store-bought skillets or even in the microwave. There are many store-bought “eggs in a cup” meals that come with toppings, all you have to do is crack an egg into the cup and microwave. Eggs can typically be found at your college campus stores and are not too expensive. Eggs are a great source of protein and other important nutrients that are important for busy students. 

Sandwiches are another great meal that can be easily substituted for fast food meals. Tuna sandwiches are a great source of protein that can be easily made with produce provided at on-campus grocery stores. Starkist Tuna packs are premade tuna bags that only require a quick stir before eating. These packs are seen at places such as Walmart, Carrs, and college grocery stores. Not a fan of tuna? There are plenty of other healthy sandwich options such as turkey, ham, peanut butter, eggs, and chicken sandwiches. These are all great sources of protein that can be easily made with produce provided at on-campus grocery stores.

Yogurt parfaits or smoothies are delicious snacks to have in between classes. Dietary guidelines for Americans recommend two cups of fruit daily for overall health. Fruit can be found at any local grocery store and is routinely restocked at college campus grocery stores. It only takes about five minutes to mix yogurt, fruit, and granola to make a healthy and filling snack. If you own a blender, making smoothies is another easy way to get your daily fruits. Fruit-infuser water bottles have become popular as well, which provide individuals with an easy way to get vitamins from fruit through their water bottles. 

Rice bowls with your choice of protein are a healthy dinner alternative to fast food. Rice bowls or packs are easy to find at grocery stores and simple to make as well. Most rice just takes a couple minutes in the microwave and then is ready to be mixed with your choice of protein, vegetables, or any other toppings. Rice bowls are filled with nutrients while being weight loss friendly as well. 

These are just some of the many alternatives to unhealthy fast food options often found on college campuses. It is important for students to get nutrients and protein through three meals a day, which most students aren’t getting. With these food choices, college students can live healthier and cheaper, which positively correlates with other aspects of their lives.

Hello! I’m a freshman at Grand Canyon University studying communications with an emphasis on broadcasting and news media. I love writing and traveling therefore I want to go into journalism.