This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

If Phoenix has too much of one thing, it’s coffee shops. Every corner from Downtown Phoenix to the outer suburbs has at least two coffee shops for consumers. In an oversaturated market, college students often settle for quick coffee from Starbucks and miss out on smaller, unique coffee shops. Rather than getting a coffee to go, you should go experience a coffee shop! Numerous local coffee shops enhance your experience with unique exhibits and interactive products.

Jasmine Jo Coffee & Rowan Tree Flowers

This gem of a coffee shop in South Phoenix has bar-style tables to do homework or couches to relax. Jasmine Jo offers coffee and pastries with very unique flavors. My favorite drink is their lavender chai with their own gardened lavender on top. Beyond their simple and chic style, their building also houses a flower shop! They can arrange bouquets of your choice using their wide selection of live flowers, or you can buy one of their pre-made bouquets. This coffee shop experience is perfect for a morning with the girls!

Dialog

Dialog is a spacious and modern-style coffee shop. Their coffee art is spectacular, but they also boast an impressive art gallery by local Arizona artists. They switch out their art regularly, so you can experience new art when you return. Take some friends and enjoy beautiful art as you sip your coffee! Giant Coffee is another local coffee shop with a joint art gallery if you want to try another after Dialog.

PHX Cat Coffee

This coffee shop is located in the heart of downtown Phoenix. What sets this shop apart is its charitable purpose because PHX Cat Coffee is also a non-profit cat rescue! You can buy coffee and retreat to the cat lounge to cuddle with adorable felines! They also host events like yoga with cats and bingo nights hosted by the furry patrons of the shop. If you’re a cat lover, this coffee shop is for you.

Provision Coffee & Roaster

This is a two-story coffee shop with large windows and live plant decorations. There is plenty of space for large get-togethers and special events. Provision hosts art galleries and live music nights. So keep up with their Instagram or website to know when to celebrate a night with the girls! Similarly, Brightside Studios is an unopened coffee shop with a similar focus on fine arts. They will soon consist of open art galleries, art classes, and live music nights to cultivate the arts in Phoenix.

Copper Star Coffee

This coffee shop may not host art or music nights, but the experience of this shop comes from its location. Copper Star Coffee was built out of an old gas station. They maintain that retro feel in their drinks and service. You can even take your car under an old gas station awning for the drive-thru! If you ever feel a pull in your heart for a more nostalgic time, stop by Copper Star Coffee and live in the 70s for a while!

All these coffee shops offer unique experiences, and there are many more to explore in Phoenix! Don’t settle for Starbucks or Dutch Bros. If you are in a new city, travel to some new coffee shops, meet new people, and experience what the city has to offer!

Leah is a junior at Grand Canyon University, studying pre-law with minors in professional writing and worship. She loves to read, write, and travel to different cities to experience all types of culture. She can often be found listening to movie soundtracks with a good book at a local coffee shop.