imogen in paris in heartstopper season 2
Samuel Dore/Netflix
Life > Experiences

Becoming Present in Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Being back in school can throw your life into a whirlwind. Readjusting into the academic routine while trying not to fall behind in several classes can make it easy to get overwhelmed and miss out on staying present. Becoming present in life does not have to be stressful or happen only when you have time. It can be as simple as breathing fresh air or looking at your surroundings on your way to class. Here are some tips that can help you become present and allow some stress-free moments in your life.

Notice Your Surroundings

Ed Sheeran in the sum of it all
Mark Surridge / Disney

Taking time to notice your surroundings can make you feel calm and present. It can almost feel as though time has slowed down for you to take in the scenery around you. Being outdoors and seeing the nature of your surroundings can allow you to appreciate it more and give you a sense of calmness. Taking in your surroundings and taking deep breaths allows you to feel more in the moment with your life and show appreciation for it.

Don’t multitask

Multitasking is an easy way to start feeling overwhelmed by your work and begin to lose focus on the present. Focusing on one thing at a time can free up your mind and relieve some stress. It’s important to note when you need to multitask and when you can allow yourself the time to take things one at a time. Avoiding multitasking keeps your mind from running a million miles a minute and gives you time to breathe, relax, feel more present with yourself, and be able to analyze what needs to be accomplished next.

Find SOcial Support

Social support is very important to be present. Being surrounded by people you know, trust, care for, and have fun with makes wanting to live in the moment much more appealing and satisfying. Being involved in conversations and activities can help you feel more present and bring you enjoyment from having fun. Put worries, work, and school aside for a while and just be surrounded by your social support.

Limit social media and technology

Social media and technology can be captivating yet so draining. Before we know it, we have spent hours staring at screens like our TVs, phones, computers, or social media. They can all captivate our attention and keep us there for hours. It feels like our life surrounds some social platform or technology that keeps us from living in the present. Technology can make us forget the simple things. So many people are too busy looking down to take in their surroundings. Technology has allowed us to become extra connected with our friends and family, but has also made it easier to multitask to the point where it provides more stress than ease. Putting away technology to enjoy your surroundings and other people, or taking things one at a time could help you feel calmer and feel like you are being more in the moment.

Hi everyone! I’m Alejandra! I’m currently a third year college student at GCU and I’m a double major in Professional Writing and Marketing. I hope you enjoy my articles.