This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The time has come. You’ve avoided it for as long as you could, but something caught your eye, and now you’re preparing for the unimaginable: Black Friday shopping. Some can’t handle Black Friday. Either it’s the madness in the shops or the concept that drives them crazy — most people are against it. As someone who has gone Black Friday shopping for years, I can assure you this: it’s really not that bad. Regardless, if you are a first-timer, here’s some advice I stick to every year.

1. Have a plan

If you have your eye set on something in particular, plan accordingly. The items that sell out the quickest are usually electronics. If you want a giant TV that’s only $200, you not only need to line up early, but you need to grab a store map to find where it may be. Target is known to hand out maps before doors open, and what my group does is we create a plan and split up. If your sister Erica wants a TV, she’s headed to the clothes. If cousin Sierra wants a new fireplace for her home, she’s headed to the bedding section (it sounds odd, but BF items are all over the place.) Having a plan and sending people to distinct areas will not only save you time, but it will get you the items you want.

2. Be Prepared

Like I said, the items that sell out the quickest are electronics. Sometimes stores require that you pay for the item in the same section you picked it up in. For example, I once was buying a laptop and Target made me buy it at the electronics counter. I didn’t have the cash in my hands, and customers behind me grew angry. That’s why you need to be prepared – if you have to buy something right then and there, it’s beneficial to everyone if you’re ready to go.

3. Be cautious

Keep your eyes on your cart. I’ve heard the horror stories of someone turning their head for a minute then returning to their cart to find stolen items. Some people take Black Friday extremely seriously, meaning they will do whatever it takes to get the item they want. If you snatched the TV you had your eye on, keep your hands on your cart at all times. If you want to look at something else, have someone with you to keep watch. Your items may go missing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.

4. Be nice

This sounds cliché, but I cannot stress it enough. At the end of the day, it’s just a commodity we all want. There’s no need to be nasty. If you don’t get what you were planning to get, it’s not the end of the world. Also, don’t be snarky or violent. Black Friday isn’t strictly business. The reason I do it every year is because it’s fun. It is what you make of it. You’ll find the people who look angry and on a mission the entire time, but not everyone is like that. I’ve seen the Black Friday extremists, and that takes away the fun for others. Remember, if you don’t get that $200 Kitchen Aid mixer, it’s not the end of the world.

Black Friday is something I believe everyone should experience at least once. If you go along for the ride or go with a plan, it never hurts to be prepared. If 2016 will be your first Black Friday experience, these four tips are sure to help. Happy shopping, everyone!

Fourth year Communications major who cares deeply about skin care and Harry Styles.