This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Looking for something to do this holiday season? Feeling overwhelmed and stressed with finals and assignments? Here are some ideas to get into the holiday spirit and de-stress.

1. Glendale Glitters

During the winter time, Downtown Glendale turns into a beautiful display of Christmas lights. There are food vendors and performers. Different coffee shops offer specials on hot chocolate and apple cider to keep you warm as you walk around and look at all of the different displays. Go into the teddy bear store or have an ice cream at Papa Ed’s! Just remember to stay safe. Wear masks and try to social distance!

tree branches covered with various colors of string lights
Photo by Jonathan Meyer from Pexels

2. Have a Movie Marathon

Have a movie marathon with your loved ones or by yourself! Pick out some of your favorite holiday movies, get some snacks, a drink of your choice, and make a night out of it. You can build a fort or just burrow yourself in fluffy blankets to reach the maximum comfort level. 

Hot chocolate
Photo by Taryn Elliott from Pexels

3. Bake Cookies

While not everyone has access to a kitchen, if you happen to have access, take full advantage. A quick and easy way to do this is by baking cookies. Again, this is another activity that you can easily do by yourself, with roommates, or even over a video call with someone. Find a recipe online or even get premade cookie dough.

people decorating sugar cookies for Christmas
Photo by Pavel Danilyuk from Pexels

4. Have a Gingerbread House Competition

Decorating a gingerbread house is a classic holiday activity. Take it up a notch this holiday season and turn it into a competition. This could be done between you and your close circle or it could be a virtual activity as well. A facetime, zoom or google hangouts call can be done in order to make this a socially distanced competition. 

gingerbread house on a table
Photo by Randalyn Hill from Unsplash

5. Take a Day Trip to see the snow. 

Want to see the snow? Take a daytrip and go up to Flagstaff for a snow day. Flagstaff is only two hours away from GCU so you can easily spend the day there and get back in time to finish studying for finals or catch a flight back home. You can spend the day with your roommates or your close group that you have been with through the semester. Once again, don’t forget to wear your masks and social distance!

Hey! My name is Melanie but most people just call me Mel. Besides writing, I love music, books, movies, t.v. shows, and baking. I like a little bit of everything and because of this, I struggle to answer anytime someone asks me what my favorite anything is. I may not have favorites but I will happily talk your ear off about all of the things I like! I am always ready to make new friends and memories.