david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Movies to Watch on Netflix this October 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

two skeletons
Photo by NeONBRAND from Unsplash
Spooky season is officially here! With everything that has happened this year, I think it is time for us to sit back and relax and watch a good scary movie with friends. Grab the popcorn and candy cause these movies on Netflix are sure to get you in the Halloween spirit! 

1. The Addams Family (1991) 

From the classic cartoon to the big screen comes the entire Addams Family: Gomez, Morticia, Wednesday, Pugsley, Grandma, and Lurch. This eccentric, wealthy, and bizarre family with a taste for the freaky and macabre are thrown for a loop when a strange man appears to be a long lost relative. When it is discovered that the man is a fraud with a plan to steal the family’s fortune, the Addams must fight back. This movie isn’t necessarily scary, but it is sure to get the theme song stuck in your head and get you into the spooky mood. 

2. The Witches (1990) 

Based on the novel by Ronald Dahl with the same name, The Witches, follows the story of a young boy named Luke and his grandmother. While staying at a hotel during a vacation, their trip is detailed when they learn the hotel is a host to an international witch convention. Not only are the witches sinister and vile, but they are brewing a plan to turn all the children into mice!

spell ingredients
Photo by Elena Mozhvilo from Unsplash

3. The Babysitter (2017) 

This teen horror-comedy follows 12-year-old Cole, who after staying up past his bedtime, learns his hot babysitter is a part of a satanic cult. The cult is on a mission to sacrifice an innocent in order to stay young and beautiful forever. After stumbling across and interrupting their sacrifice, the group will stop at nothing to keep him quiet. This gory and funny movie also has a sequel that came out this year called, The Babysitter: Killer Queen. 

pumpkins, candles, and skull
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

4. The Devil All the Time (2020)

This psychological thriller follows the multiple storylines of the lives of corrupt and sinister characters living across Southern Ohio and West Virginia. This movie is also full of A-list actors such as Tom Holland, Robert Pattinson, Sebastian Stan, and Jason Clarke. While watching this movie I was at the edge of my seat and shocked by the actions of these cruel and “religious” characters. 

Photo by Ryan Miguel Capili from Pexels

5. Hubie Halloween (2020) 

Hubie Dubois, played by Adam Sandler, is a kind-hearted goof who is mocked by the adults and kids in his hometown of Salem, Massachusetts. Hubie spends every Halloween patrolling the neighborhoods making sure no shenanigans happen, unfortunately, this year is different as there is a killer on the loose! As the audience has come to expect from Adam Sandler’s films, this movie is not only silly but star-studded. With comedy veterans such as Ben Stiller, Maya Rudolph, Kevin James, and Kenan Thompson; this film also includes young rising stars such as China Anne McClain, Noah Schnapp, and Karan Brar. Sandler’s own wife and daughter also had roles in the movie. The most touching part of the movie had to have been the ending tribute to the late actor Cameron Boyce, who played Sandler’s son in the Grown-Ups movies and was supposed to be in this film. Heartbreakingly, Boyce passed away two days before filming started, so the memoriam to him was a beautiful touch.

Hey! My name is Lauren. I am a communications major at Grand Canyon University. I just want to enjoy life and travel.
Hi, my name is Cassy! I am a current junior at Grand Canyon University, studying Marketing and Advertising. I am born and raised in Colorado, but I love exploring all the different aspect of Arizona. Feel free to reach out to me to be part of Her Campus GCU!