This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

January 2020 has come to an end and moving onto the second month of the year is exciting! You’re alive and well, and there are many things in store for you to accomplish. However, “exciting” isn’t exactly the mindset people are having regarding the transition to the next month, especially users on social media. 

Many people are turned off by the new year due to the unfortunate events that have already occurred in the first month of the year. In January alone, there has been an outbreak of the  coronavirus, basketball legend Kobe Bryant, his talented daughter Gianna Bryant, and a few others have died in a helicopter crash, and rumors of a potential world war have spread. Looking at these instances, there’s no question about why people are hesitant to transition into February of 2020.

There is no doubt that January has been a roller coaster ride, but that doesn’t mean one shouldn’t be looking forward to February and what the other months in 2020 might offer. Life goes on and instead of already pronouncing the year of 2020 as awful, look at the bright side of things. You are breathing, and you have the opportunity to touch millions of hearts like Kobe Bryant has. What happened to him was a tragedy, but your life shouldn’t come to a halt because of a few tragic events. 

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/kobe-bryant-all-decade-max-kellerman-e1580067420523.jpg?quality=65&strip=all

Kobe Bryant will always be remembered. As a black woman, he has done so much for the culture and has allowed people from different racial backgrounds to understand that they can accomplish many things in their lifetime. Kobe, only being 41, had already done so much with his life! Imagine all the things that you can do!

Life and death is in the power of the tongue. If you say negative things, then you will reap negative outcomes, and the same thing applies when you recite positive things. No one is saying that you can’t feel hurt or upset when horrible events occur, but don’t base them off of what your whole year is going to be like. Try to see the downsides of life as motivation to do better. It’s easier said than done, but don’t limit your year to the events of one month.

Life is worth living, especially when you’re living. When you feel down about something major that has occurred, think about the little things that you are blessed with. We tend to ignore the little things in life because they don’t seem to be as impactful, but they are. The little things that happen to us make us who we are. Sure, it’s great to celebrate a championship win or dwell on the not-so-satisfying semester grades, but it only keeps you from finding your true purpose. The little things in life help us grow and develop as a person.

So with this month of February and with the rest of 2020 to come, do that thing you’ve always wanted to do. Write that book or screenplay! Go to an escape room with your friends! Join a lacrosse team! Start that YouTube channel! Do something, anything! Just don’t mope around. Life is short and it would be heartbreaking if we were to just sulk in our dismay instead of doing the things that we’ve always dreamed of accomplishing. Go for it this 2020 because the era of the roaring 20’s has just begun!

Hello beautiful people! I'm Adela and I am more than happy to be apart of HerCapusGCU. I love to write about pop culture and everyday stories that us girls tend to experience! I love music and I love to connect how it makes me feel and the artists' stories to my writing as well. Hopefully, you all love my writing as much as I love to right it!
A sophomore Communications major at GCU who is passionate about Jesus, writing, watching Netflix, and taking long walks to the campus Chick-Fil-A.