Young Entrepreneur: Haley Dunigan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Entrepreneurship is something that I have always admired. Although a lot of people have ambitions, very few find success especially at a young age. Here at Georgia College, we have the privilege of having Atlanta-based entrepreneur and Owner of Chokers and Charms LLC. Haley Dunigan studying management.

Her Campus: Tell me a little bit about yourself

Haley Dunigan: My name is Haley Dunigan, and I am a 20-year-old sophomore from Flowery Branch, Georgia. Both of my parents are Georgia College Alumni and my sister Sydney is a freshman here this year.

HC: How did Chokers and Charms LLC. come to be?

HD: I have always loved fashion! Back in high school the freshwater single pearl chokers became enormous, and I started making them, they are still my best sellers to this day! I put up a picture on Instagram, and it blew up quickly. Girls loved them and all of a sudden I made an Instagram and had quite a few orders! In the summer of 2013 as a junior is when things started to build up. I quickly started mass production. Before I knew it, I was at  Image Boutique in my hometown and was creating my first display. They flew off the shelves and in a blink of an eye I had a new bulk order. Now, I serve to 15 locations as well as my Instagram orders.

HC: How do you balance being a full-time student and a full-time business owner?

HD: School is my priority so that obviously comes first. I am paying for school so I make a constant effort to show up to class and give it my all even when I know that sometimes I could be making necklaces and making a good bit of money. I like to think ahead, and I know school is what I need in the long run to make everything go as I have planned. I have a little studio set up here in my apartment as well as my main inventory at home, which is where my mom can come into play as a great help.

HC: Where do you see yourself in the future?

HD: I want to build my own clothing brand, and I want to take it very far. I already have a name, but of course, it’s a secret for now. The primary goal is to have unique, artistic, and trendy pieces just like C&C. I want one of the main goals to have the customer and employee have an experience while they are there. It will all about women empowerment. I want to help my staff; I want them to follow their dreams as I have and I want to give them every opportunity to do so. I would have it feel like a small group environment and even have meetings with goal sheets so the girls can achieve what they want to.

HC: Where would you start up the store?

HD: Business is booming back in my hometown so I would go there to get everything started. Plus it is nice to feel like I am giving back to my community. For example, when I was in high school I was involved in DECA, and I wanted to pitch C&C as the business model, but back then I didn’t have the experience I have now. I was humbled to find out that some of my brand reps back home are pitching my company this year at my school and have advanced all the way to the state competition in Atlanta!

HC: To what/whom can you credit your success to?

HD: A lot of people and situations have gotten me to where I am today. One has been my mom who is an entrepreneur herself. Also just learning to deal with real life situations and making mistakes. For example, near finals last semester I had a lot of bulk orders plus a full semester of school wrapping up. At one point things started to slip from my fingers but because of the mistakes and advice from the people I work with I have learned how to run C&C so successfully.

Talking to Haley was a blast. She inspired me to follow my dreams and not be afraid of making mistakes. If you loved reading a little bit more about her you can dive into her life by watching her new vlogs on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKwd9IgvSz2UxjssFJGC30w). You can also check out her amazing pieces on her Instagram which is @chokers_and_charms.

I just love doing life and sharing bits and pieces of it with people!