When You Want to Be Their Friend, But Also More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Most of us have had the feeling of either seeing or meeting someone for the first time, and then instantly wanting to see them again or at least wanting to become their friend. The thing is you barely know anything about this person, but you don’t know exactly how to learn more about them. It’s not like you see them that often, either. If you do it’s in a moments passing, and the most you can muster up to say is a faint “hey”.  But maybe that little “hey” is all that you need, because you know in your head you’re doing the most that you can do. Which may not be enough, and you know it to be true, because that faint “hey” could easily be “Hey! How are you doing”, or anything that makes them engage with you. That way some dialogue is happening between the two of you, and it gives you something more to be proud about. But you want more than that, right? You want to be able to have a conversation with them without the aid of someone else being there to be your buffer. But while you have that buffer, whomever that may be, let them help you. Especially let them help you if they know the person well, and ESPECIALLY let them help you if they are really good friends with the person. All in all, the most you are doing to yourself is not letting others help, and by doing that you are getting nowhere with that potential person.

Also know that everyone gets flustered sometimes, and everyone likes someone that they think may not like them back. You just need to step a little bit out of your comfort bubble and go for it.  Also remember these three things:

1. You are amazing! 

2. Everyone likes someone.

3. It doesn’t hurt to try. What is the worst that could happen?

Mariah is a senior psychology major, who has aspirations to work in the library science field. She enjoys listening to music and making playlists, playing board games, and crafting. She enjoys writing for Her Campus because it gives her the chance to share unconventional articles that would otherwise not be published, while at the same time promoting female empowerment.