Tina Ng: A Cutie Who Speaks Her Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Major: English, with a concentration in Creative Writing

Year: Junior

Hometown: Milton

What do you like to do in your free time? I like to read and write, hang out with my friends, eat Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, and watch TV. I’m obsessed with Food Network! And I try to work on my blog whenever I can.

What made you want to start writing your blog? My mom actually suggested I should make one! I also wanted to practice writing my ideas into words because it’s something I struggle with sometimes, so I thought a blog might be a good place to work on that skill.

You’re clearly very proud of your cultural heritage. What’s your favorite thing about being Chinese-American? My favorite thing about being Chinese-American is that my mom raised us with a bunch of traditions she was brought up with in China! My favorite tradition that I want to do with my children one day is to give them a red envelope to put underneath their pillows the night before Chinese New Year. It’s supposed to be good luck and it keeps away bad dreams.

That’s so cute! I know, and my mom still does it! When I came home for Chinese New Year this year, the envelope was already under my pillow.

What would you say inspires you, whether it be in your writing or in life? I think that people in general just inspire me. The knowledge that we all have the capacity to be the best possible versions of ourselves is something that I find very inspiring because it’s something you can see in the people around you, and it gives me hope for the future.

Why did you choose to study creative writing? I think words are very powerful. It’s very telling that some pieces of literature have been around for hundreds and thousands of years. Alice Hoffman said that “Books may well be the only true magic,” and I definitely agree!

What has been your best experience in college so far? My best experience has been getting to know other people who are similar to me but also meeting people who are very different too! I’m from metro Atlanta, so I was used to being around the same type of person in high school and coming to college has changed that!

Tina’s blog can be found here.

Tess is a senior English major at Georgia College, with a concentration in literature and a minor in French. She loves Bruce Springsteen, watching TV, matching pajama sets, baking, cuddling with her dog, and oxford commas. Her life goal is to marry Ben Wyatt and have the hair of a Victoria's Secret model. You can follow her on Twitter at @likeomgtess.