Six of the Best Spontaneous Georgia Day Trips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Are you looking for a fun and exciting, yet simple and inexpensive adventure? Look no further. Here are six of the best day trips in Georgia for those days when you have nothing to do and all you want to do is discover something new! 

Ponce City Market

Ponce City Market is a fairly new addition to Atlanta and is located in the old Sears Warehouse on Ponce De Leon. Filled with boutique shops, restaurants, and apartments, it is quite the dream come true and a perfect place to visit. You could also extend your trip by exploring downtown Atlanta or Midtown.  

Providence Canyon

Have you always had a desire to visit the Grand Canyon, but have not had the chance? Well look no further, because Georgia has its very own “Little Grand Canyon”. Providence Canyon is located in Lumpkin, GA and has three miles of hiking trails as well as a seven mile backpacking trail. Make it a day trip or spend the night on their campgrounds.

Amicalola Falls

Amicalola Falls claims to be the tallest waterfall in the Southeast. There are twelve miles of hiking trails with access to the Appalachian Trail. There are also places to picnic and fish.

Downtown Savannah

Downtown Savannah can be a day trip or an overnight stay. Explore the city’s shops, restaurants, historic landmarks, or take a tour of SCAD.

Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain has so many things to do. Whether its climb the mountain, explore the trails, experience Crossroads, or visit the historic sights.

Chalk Mines

If you do not want to travel very far, take the opportunity to drive thirty minutes to Sandersville, GA, and visit the beautiful chalk mines. You will feel like you have escaped to an exotic location for the day!

So instead of wasting away another Saturday, make an effort to explore your home state and discover all of the amazing and diverse things it has to offer!

A Freshman Pre-Nursing major at Georgia College whose passions are travel, leading worship, and living a life of joy!