Shelby Smith: HC GCSU Campus Correspondent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

You read our content each week, but have you met the woman who puts in all the effort to make HerCampus GCSU run smoothly? Meet Shelby Smith, HC GCSU’s campus correspondent for the past two and a half years. I got the pleasure to talk to her about her college experience and her involvement in HC. Thank you for all of the hard work you put in for this wonderful organization, Shelby!

Her Campus: Tell me a little bit about yourself.

Shelby Smith: I’m a senior majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing! My claim to fame is that I have been Campus Correspondent for Her Campus GCSU for two and a half years. I’m also a phone-a-thon caller at GC. I write on my new blog, The Writing Addict about writing, reading, and I share my work. Finally, I am the mom of the cutest rescue dog ever, Kayla.

HC: What made you want to get involved in Her Campus?

SS: I joined Her Campus GCSU when I was a freshman in 2013. Back then it was only a semester old, so it was really new and seemed like it would be up my alley. I wasn’t into hard news at that time. I was just rejected to write opinion pieces for the Colonnade, so I wanted a place I could be creative. Back then Her Campus was one of the only magazine style places to write on campus that promoted creative writing. Luckily, I was accepted immediately and thrown into the mix of everything!

HC: What has been the most rewarding part of being in Her Campus?

SS: Definitely the people! I love the ladies that I write with and lead. It is such a treat to have a group of women lifting each other up and supporting each other. There is no way I would have made it through the past four years without them!

HC:  Tell me about your favorite memory from your college experience.

SS: I have a ton! Plenty involving friends downtown on karaoke night at Buffingtons. Probably one of the favorite memories was the day that I was told that Her Campus GCSU would be recognized as an RSO. That was really exciting. But it is tied with the time that I sang “The Reason” by Hoobastank at karaoke night. I’ve also really enjoyed calling alumni at the phone-a-thon. I have definitely had a lot of memorable conversations there.

HC: Will you miss GC, or are you ready to leave?

SS: I’m so indecisive about this! I know that I will miss GC, my friends, and everyone on the Her Campus staff, but I feel like it’s time for me to move on. I think when you become a senior, you get to the point that you realize that you have made your mark and you need to let new blood take over.  I’m terrified of the “real world,” but I’m ready to move on to the next part of my journey.

HC: What career goal do you aspire to reach after graduating?

SS: My goal is to pursue my writing. Whether it is through, editing, technical writing, or different types of journalism, I want to write. It is something I’m really passionate about, so I want to be able to do something I enjoy every day. My long-term goal is to publish either a novel or a collection of nonfiction essays!

Her Campus GCSU Campus Correspondent. Senior Mass Communication major with a focus in Journalism. Cat mom, writer, avid concert-goer, iced coffee addict.