SGA Presidential Material: Charles Morgan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Her Campus: Tell me about yourself.

Charles Morgan: My name is Charles Morgan and I am the current chief of staff of SGA. That means I am the chief advisor to President Juawn Jackson. I have always been involved on campus in many different ways. I have been involved in SGA for the past two years. I am currently the president of Pride Alliance and it is one of my proudest achievements. I love being involved on campus. I’m also the official moderator of the American Democracy Project. I get to work to work with the community with that as well.  I am the treasurer for the Young Democrats. I have always taken pride with working with other students on campus. It’s just my thing.

HC: Why have you decided to run for SGA President?

CM: I have decided to run for SGA President because like I said I am the chief advisor to President Juawn Jackson and in that position I got to sit in on a lot of key meetings. I get to go to the university system meetings with him. I get to go to president’s council which is a meeting with all the SGA Presidents across the entire USG system. Through that, I got an insider view of what it means to be SGA President. I also got an insider view of what problems come with that. Some examples of that is one we have a school spirit problem and I have been trying to work all semester on that. Two we have a student service problem. We have exceptional student service, but it could be better. It could be tailored more towards the students. My final thing would be championing diversity, but diversity in decent means than just skin color, or sexual orientation. Those things are great, but I think there are other meanings of diversity. That goes into more collaboration across student organizations. I think when we start that cross collaboration than that is diversity.

HC: What are you the most passionate about improving at Georgia College?

CM: I think the thing that I would be most passionate about improving at Georgia College would be that collaboration effort I was just speaking on. I think highly of working with other people. I just think it makes a world of a difference. I think if we start that it will change a lot. For one it will fix that school spirit issue because you are going to have students to go to other students and organizations. That creates interest across borders and that starts to blur the lines of ‘I am an art major and I am a political science major’ and start to really blend them together. And that’s what we need because we are a liberal arts university.

HC: What does your platform consist of?

CM: My major points that I want to get across is that I have already began doing this job. I have already started working with the President on a regular basis. I have already started pushing my initiatives. I have already started meeting with key administrative officers to work on student services. I have meetings with parking and transportation on a regular basis. I am on the campus life strategic planning committee which I was recommended for by the director of campus life because I have a bird’s eye view of student life. I have already begun to change how our school spirit dynamic works and increase the quality of life for our students. Finally, I want to champion diversity. I want to see a proactive student government. I really want our student government to be involved in our everyday life.

HC: Why are you the best candidate to vote for?

CM: I think I’m the best candidate to vote for because I already have the experience. Like I said, I have already began working on these initiatives and I have something unique that the other candidates don’t. I have a unique relationship with our administration and with the university system administration. I have a strong personal relationship with President Dorman. Being on that working relationship already brings the SGA President to new heights because I can go to him whenever possible and he is going to listen to me. Having these connections mean I will be ready day one while other people are going to have to build these relationships. I also think I am more qualified because I am a true representative of the students.

HC: Is there any skeletons in your closet that could inhibit your election?

CM: I don’t think there are any skeletons in my closet at all. I mean I’m ready to answer anything. I’m an open book. Anything that another candidate or student has to say to me, go ahead because I want to hear what your problems are. If anyone thinks I have ever done something deplorable then I want to sit down and talk with them about it.

Note: All SGA Presidential Candidates were invited to interview with Her Campus GCSU. Her Campus GCSU does not openly support any candidate. 

Shelby Smith is an English major with a concentration in creative writing at Georgia College & State University. She hopes to write the next great American novel one day while becoming a #girlboss. Shelby loves Pinterest, hedgehogs, organizational supplies, and has a mild obsession with makeup. You can follow her on Instagram @shelbysmilege.