Savannah Wiley: Kappa Delta Cutie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Major:

History

Year:

Senior

Hometown:

Alpharetta

What organizations are you involved with on campus?

Kappa Delta and The National Society of Collegiate Scholars

What made you decide to pick your particular major?

I’ve been interested in history for as long as I can remember. When I was enrolling in college, I didn’t know what career I wanted to pursue, but I knew that it definitely needed to be something to do with history!

What do you wish more people knew or understood about sororities?

Because of inaccurate portrayals in televisions shows and movies, when most people hear the word “sorority” they think of stuck-up, catty girls who party more than anything else. And that’s not what sororities are like at all. We raise money for our philanthropies and the community and have higher grades than non-Greeks because we have to meet certain requirements in order to be on good standing. We have close sisterhoods within our sororities and promote Greek unity as well. Also, there are so many Greek members in leadership positions throughout campus. We’re busy, hard-working people, so stop the stereotyping!

What kinds of music do you listen to?

Mainly classic rock, but I enjoy almost everything. I think Bob Dylan, The Beatles, and Disney songs are the most played on my iPod.

How would you describe your fashion sense or style?

I don’t even know. A bit of indie, girly, vintage…it varies. But I definitely love tights, boots, dresses, and cardigans!

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Spare time has become almost non-existent recently, but when I do have a free moment I like watching movies and television shows while scrolling through Tumblr. Naps are always a good way to spend free time, too!

What advice do you have for surviving college?

Actually do the reading for your classes and try not to procrastinate too much. Find yourself a good group of friends, too, because I don’t know how I would’ve made it to senior year without my friends.

What are some of your favorite college memories?

Oh, I have so many! Some of my favorites include the two trips I’ve taken to Walt Disney World, being initiated into Kappa Delta, all the Doctor Who marathons with my best friend, and going to see Rocky Horror Picture Show every year.

What’s the best class you’ve taken at GCSU?

Introduction to Museum Studies, but I’m sure the class I’m taking on the Civil War next semester will become my favorite.

Why did you enjoy it so much?

Before I took the class, I was certain that I wanted to become a history teacher, but the more I learned about museums, the more I found myself wanting to work in one. The class was great because the professor was so knowledgeable, but we learned through fun activities such as going on field trips to places like the Old Governor’s Mansion and Ocmulgee National Monument.