Our Review of Lady Gaga’s “Joanne”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past week or so, you know that Lady Gaga just released her fourth studio album, “Joanne.” You may have noticed that the look Gaga’s been rocking doesn’t match up to the typical “weird” or “dark” Gaga that she’s shown us in the past. Although her music is still classified as pop, she’s added somewhat of a country twang to it, creating a sound unlike anything you’ve ever heard. “Joanne” goes back to the singer’s roots. Before you judge “Joanne,” read this track-by-track review and give the album a listen. You may be surprised – many listeners who were not previously Gaga fans ended up loving the record.

1. “Diamond Heart” 

The opening track subtly details Gaga’s entry to stardom and highlights her strong vocals. It sets the rock/southern tone for the album and allows the singer to tell us that she may have made mistakes, but her intentions are good. 

2. “A-YO”

This song will make you want to dance. The chorus is so catchy, and after just one listen you’ll be singing “Light me up and breathe in / Mirror on the ceiling” all day long. 

3. “Joanne”

Written from her father’s point of view, the title track is a tribute to Gaga’s late aunt, Joanne, who passed away at a young age. If you have ever lost anyone close to you, this song will hit home for you. Tears may be shed. 

4. “John Wayne” 

Here is where the southern twang to the album really starts to show. Gaga lets us know just how much she needs a cowboy in her life, as “Every John is just the same / I’m sick of their city games.” 

5. “Dancing in Circles”

A much darker song than the rest, this track highlights Gaga’s battle between being sad over wanting a lover she can’t have, and feeling good about being alone and loving herself.

6. “Perfect Illusion”

Though the first single from “Joanne” is quite different than the rest of the album, “Perfect Illusion” is a track that sadly describes a breakup while providing yet another dance-able beat.

7. “Million Reasons”

The second single from the album is a somber yet hopeful ballad. Gaga loves this person and does not want to give up, but she is struggling to find a good reason to stay with them. 

8. “Sinner’s Prayer”

A country twang reappears in this track, which describes Gaga’s love for a man who probably isn’t good for her. It sounds like a true old-country song, yet lets Gaga’s voice shine through. 

9. “Come To Mama”

This track is true to Gaga and her message, as it is all about loving one another. Gaga uplifts listeners by letting us know that, unless we put all disagreements saide and work together, we will get nowhere.

10. “Hey Girl (feat. Florence Welch)”

Gaga and Florence’s vocals come together to create this beautiful 70s-esque track. Another song about supporting one another, “Hey Girl” will make you want to duet it with your best friend at karaoke. 

11. “Angel Down” 

This Ballad, inspired by the tragic murder of Trayvon Martin, addresses the hatred that has been occurring in the world in recent years. Gaga pleads for the violence to end, wondering how the world has come to this chaos.

12. “Grigio Girls”

Another song about love and togetherness, “Grigio Girls” is all about drinking some wine with your girlfriends and helping each other deal with the everyday problems of life. It will make you want to grab your besties and some Pinot Grigio and have heart-to-heart conversations.

13. “Just Another Day” 

If you’ve ever listened to Gaga pre-stardom, you will be catapulted back in time with this song. With a trumpet solo from Bryan Newman, it’s the perfect upbeat, jazzy tune to end the album on a positive note. It truly goes back to Gaga’s roots and sounds identical to the music she performed before she ever encountered fame. 

Her Campus GCSU Campus Correspondent. Senior Mass Communication major with a focus in Journalism. Cat mom, writer, avid concert-goer, iced coffee addict.