photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

An Open Letter to My Dog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Dear Kayla (AKA my dog),

We have been together for almost three months now, but you have taught me things that I could have never learned on my own.

Thank you for letting me not get attached to material possessions.

God knows that you can easily chew through wooden coasters, pencils, and Halloween decorations. Since you chew up everything that I use to enjoy, I now choose not to get too attached to the impulse purchases from TJ Maxx which is helpful in making me be a better person because I’m not materialistic.

Thank you for making sure I start my day on time.

You never let me sleep in past 9:30 AM. I never have to worry about running late or not being able to have ample time to get ready. Because you wake me up earlier every day, I can enjoy a nutritious breakfast without having to worry about not having enough time. You always make sure my day starts out perfectly.

Thank you for letting me dress you in dog clothes.

Not only do you look adorable, but you act like a sophisticated human in your sweaters. You have no idea how much joy this brings me.

Thank you for making sure I am never alone.

I used to be so lonely before I adopted you, but now I can never be alone because you follow me everywhere. I appreciate our car rides to Krystal   and our late night cuddles in bed.  You always sit with me whenever I am reading for class, so I always have a homework buddy.

Thank you for teaching me patience.

Even though house training you was one of the most frustrating things in my life, you helped me learn patience. Even though you still have accidents sometimes, or act stubborn whenever you don’t want to go outside, I am still patient with you and love you through your flaws. If I can handle puppy Kayla and still be patient, humans are a breeze.

Thank you for teaching me unconditional love.

You love me no matter how crappy of a person I have been all day. You still think I’m sane even when I am stressed out beyond belief. No matter if we have a good day, or a bad day, I always know that you will be there waiting for me at the door with a wagging tail.

Even though I may have adopted you and saved you from euthanization, you have saved my life. I am so thankful for the lessons you teach me and I can’t wait to learn more. 

Shelby Smith is an English major with a concentration in creative writing at Georgia College & State University. She hopes to write the next great American novel one day while becoming a #girlboss. Shelby loves Pinterest, hedgehogs, organizational supplies, and has a mild obsession with makeup. You can follow her on Instagram @shelbysmilege.