A Nightly Routine for Beautiful Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Over the summer (moment of silence) the sun turned my face a number of colors: white, tan, dark, red, and sometimes all of those tones combined in different places. I tried a number of scrubs, moisturizers, masks, and narrowed it down to a few products that I will be using until they are suddenly discontinued. *Knocks on wood.* I use these products before I go to sleep instead of when I wake up so that I’m never in a rush when taking care of my skin. Although, if you’re more of a morning person, this routine is great to start your day with as well! 

Step 1: Cleanse 

I usually use facial cleaning wipes instead of actual soap, partly because I am lazy, partly because I like to make sure all of my eye makeup is completely off before I go to sleep, and partly because I like to be able to actually open my eyes while I wash my face. I use these Burt’s Bees White Tea Extract facial cleansing towelettes, and they also come in scents like grapefruit and cooling cucumber. They are great for anytime of day, really. I sometimes use them after a hike or anytime my skin has been through extra dirt and impurities. You can find this product at any Walmart! 

Step 2: Scrub 

Lush is by far my favorite cosmetic brand for a few reasons: the company does not test on animals and they even created their very own campaign to fight animal testing, each ingredient used in their products is 100% natural and you know everything that is going onto your skin, and everything is made recently and comes with an expiration date. Their masks and some of their hair products are quite expensive BUT products like this Mask of Magnaminty go a looong way! This is what I use as a scrub/exfoliant right after I’ve cleansed my face and it always makes my skin feel smooth and completely refreshed. The peppermint also helps me fall asleep. I notice a big difference in my overall skin tone after I use this product. It’s great for starting all over after too much sun. You can find this product at any Lush Cosmetics store or online! 

Link below: 

http://www.lushusa.com/shop-by-feeling/refreshed/mask-of-magnaminty/00411.html?gclid=CPjanIy70M4CFcUdgQodrhQAFw

Step 3: Toner 

There are a number of great toners to trust, but I use this Neutrogena toner because it is affordable, Neutrogena does not test on animals, and it is alcohol-free. When looking for a toner it is important to choose one that is alcohol-free. Alcohol is cleansing and tightening, but it is very drying and harmful to your skin. It can strip parts of the skin that are still healthy and youthful. I use cotton discs, or cotton pads, to apply it. You can find this product at any drugstore or Walmart! 

Step 4: Moisturizer 

So, some bad news… I’ve learned that if you want a great moisturizer, one that truly works, it’s going to be expensive. I researched several moisturizers before purchasing Belif Aqua Bomb moisturizer for  $39 (moment of silence). I purchased this very specific product because this product is 100% all natural which, please keep in mind, is always the most important when we’re talking about the skin on your face. And also this company does not test on animals. To my pleasant surprise, the product was a beautiful blue color, cool and refreshing when applied, and my skin was noticeably softer the next day. They also carry a smaller size of this product for a much cheaper price if you’d like to try it on your skin first! You can find this product at any Sephora, or online (because they are often sold out of one of the sizes in the store)!

Link below: 

http://www.sephora.com/the-true-cream-aqua-bomb-P394639?skuId=1686427

Step 5: Lip Scrub 

Hey, lips are a part of the face, too. And dry lips can really make for an irritating, painful day. Yuck. I love this product right here. Possibly the best product I have ever used. It’s Lush (can’t go wrong) and it’s just sugar, popcorn butter, caramel, and coconut oil mixed together into a tiny $10 jar that is SO worth it you don’t even understand. If you don’t like this product you can come to me personally and I’ll say, “YOU ARE CRAZY.” Just use a tiny bit to scrub your lips and then lick it off when you’re done! Also, it doesn’t expire for an entire year. You can find this product at any Lush Cosmetics store or online!

Link below: 

http://www.lushusa.com/face/lips/popcorn/03766.html

Step 6: Lip Moisture 

I haven’t been able to find a product, specifically for lips, that has worked as well as Aquaphor Healing Ointment. I put this product on my lips after the lip scrub and my lips are soft and smooth when I wake up! Aquaphor also makes a Lip Repair product in a tiny tube, but I have tried both and prefer the actual Healing Ointment. You can find this product at any drugstore or Walmart! 

I hope you try out these products and are as satisfied as I am! Let me know what you think! 

Senior English Creative Writing major at Georgia College and State University. Poet. Sister. Cat mom. Friend. 90's Winona Ryder aspirer-- just need more turtlenecks.