Natalie Sharp: Smart, Sassy, and Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

What year are you?

Senior (class of ’13)

What’s your major?

English (Literature Concentration)

Where is your hometown?

Hinesville, GA

Are you currently in a relationship?

I am single.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

In my spare time, I like to write poetry, draw and paint, exercise, and read feminist blogs! (Seriously. Check out Crunk Feminist Collective and xoJane as soon as you are done reading this.)

What is your favorite thing to do in Milly?

My favorite thing to do in Milledgeville is walking around in the summer while sipping on sparkling cranberry juice. It’s crazy hot, but the whole city is in bloom and most of the students are gone, so it’s really peaceful.

Are you in a club?

I was in a club that focused on slam poetry and arts activism, but I had to scale my involvement way back to focus on fulfilling graduation requirements. I am a member of SOAR (Student Oriented Activities and Resources), an organization that assigns incoming GC freshmen a faculty mentor as well as a student mentor. I am also in a group called EMPOWER that focuses on issues facing minority women and women in general.

Do you participate in many out of class activities?

I think I participate in too many out of class activities, haha. I am the editor of The Corinthian, Georgia College’s student research journal, I perform my poetry in Milledgeville/middle Georgia/sometimes Atlanta when I get the chance, I volunteer with our school’s student-run news program GC 360 (which is super awesome), plus the aforementioned clubs, so…yeah.

Are you in the Honors program? Are there other programs you are involved in?

I am in the Honors program! Aside from that other stuff up yonder, no other programs.

What are your hobbies?

Does eating count as a hobby?

Man, I love food.

Do you have a special talent?

If you count performance poetry as a special talent, then sure. I think it takes a significant measure of skill, but I’ve seen many performance poets who are a lot better than me, so I wouldn’t put myself in “special talent” territory just yet.

Where do you buy your clothes?

EVERYWHERE. Okay, not everywhere, but if a place has clothes that are modest, comfortable, and affordable, then I’ll try it out. I get a lot of clothes from my mom, and she shops at grown-up clothiers like Banana Republic and Ann Taylor. Well-organized secondhand stores and Wal-Mart are great for basic clothing staples, Target has ah-mazing non-skirts (because I’m taller than 5’5” and all their skirts hit me too far above the knee), and I will occasionally splurge on a ModCloth dress because they’re just so darned unique.

What has been your most enlightening experience in college?

There was this awful guy. Like, awful awful. More than meets the eye awful. But out of that, I learned that my friends—both old and new—are incredible, intelligent, supportive, and empowered in ways that I might never have seen without them helping me through that ordeal. My poetry reached a new level when I finally made it to the other side, I experienced a renewed sense of my spirituality, and I finally gained the strength to cut poisonous people out of my life.

Plus I learned the taste of a bunch of different wines.

What will you take away from your college experience?

I am capable of many things.

Not all people are trustworthy.

Dining hall food is almost unilaterally bad, no matter what college you’re attending.

Good friends believe in you and your crazy dreams.

What do you plan to do with your major?

This is actually a pretty interesting question for me. Three years ago, my answer would have been, “TEACH FOREVER.” It’s why I came to college as a declared English major. That’s still true in some ways, but basically, I’m going to do whatever allows me to accomplish my spiritual goals. Whether that’s career teaching or working part-time as a janitor is not really a concern for me, because I think I could find some small joy in any job as long as it allows me to make sure of the more important things.

Any advice you could give our readers on relationships? Grades? Health?

Dearest Readers,

Love yourselves. And learn as much as you can about others. The human experience is so varied and intriguing from person to person, and a little insight goes a long way to slowing down anger or any other immediate, potentially harmful emotions. Your grades don’t make you who you are (I had to learn the hard way).

I frequent social media sites and adore corgis. People say I'm addicted to the internet. (It's kinda true.) I'm a graduate of GCSU.