Music and Picture: Soundtracks make the Best Albums

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Have you ever fallen in love with a movie soundtrack? Soundtracks are albums guaranteed to give you the feels. They’re an added bonus of being a crazy, movie-watching addict. 

WARNING: If you’ve never fallen in love with a movie soundtrack before, then this post is about to be like reading a ton of Nicholas Sparks novels in quick succession because you’re going to fall in love over and over again! If you’re a fellow music lover,  I encourage you to pull up Spotify or Youtube to really get a sampling of these tasty tunes. 

Where the Wild Things Are Motion Picture Soundtrack – Original Songs by Karen O and the Kids

This soundtrack is at the top of my list and was written and made by Karen O of the Yeahyeahyeah’s. Sometimes the music feels like the expressed “Id” with animalistic emotions and since it’s the story of a child’s fears and fantasies, that is dead on for the feel of the film! Every melody is sweet and perfect while the songs sound raw and acoustic. The movie itself, is an interesting interpretation with amazing images and emotion, but the music MAKES it come to life. The soundtrack is vital, telling you what to feel when you are watching it, when to be afraid or to let go of the fear. I couldn’t even tell you what my favorite song off this album is. Anything with a catchy tune, good rhythm, and a freeing feeling is my favorite. Oh, wait, that’s all of them!

I can’t express my love for this soundtrack, book, and movie, but let’s stick with the soundtrack. It is a soundtrack you can feel sorry for yourself to or dance and smile to alone in your room. It’s the “90’s teenager’s perfect anthems” album. I was a little surprised that Charlie’s mix tape from the book wasn’t just used as the soundtrack, but I am so glad they didn’t use it because I found so much great music. I mean, DAVID BOWIE! It’s just too good. My favorite song is “Dear God” by XTC. Just listen and you will understand.

Dan in Real Life – Original Soundtrack by Sondre Lerche

I had no idea that I had struck gold when I stumbled upon this movie on TV some lazy summer day. I heard the song “My Hands are Shaking” and for the rest of the week I sang it around my house because it was so catchy and perfect!  Sondre Lerche made most of this soundtrack with his genius guitar melodies, but this is an album that veers from his usual style. It is softer and you can tell he really made the music fit each scene and character. After digging deeper into the wonderful music of Dan in Real Life, I discovered that REGINA SPEKTOR does a duet with Sondre Lerche for the movie. It is called “Hell No” and it made me so happy. Regina is classically trained in piano, Sondre in guitar, and they both use their mad skills to make sweet, sweet pop music. PLUS, you can find a cover of “Fever” (such a sexy song) done by, none other than, A Fine Frenzy. Just when I thought it couldn’t get any better! Watch this movie because it says so much about family and love. Then go buy some music by Sondre Lerche, Regina Spektor, and A Fine Frenzy.

Empire Records the Soundtrack

Are you in a 90’s rock mood? If you’re not, you should be! Go watch Empire Records because what could be a better plot than a bunch of “cool” teenagers working at a record store for a day? Look, I’ll prove to you how bitchin’ this soundtrack is: it’s got The Cranberries on it. I don’t know how to explain it any other way. Just Spotify it and listen to “Liar,” “Sugarhigh,” and “Til I Hear It From You.”

God Help the Girl: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Pure gold is what this soundtrack is! The music was written and released by Belle and Sebastian (<3) before the movie, but was always intended for a film. This film, written by Stuart Murdoch (of Belle and Sebastian), is just one beautiful extended music video with a 60's British aesthetic. The music is melodic pop that seeps into your mind and keeps you humming and whistling it's tunes. My favorite songs are "God Help the Girl" (of course) and "I Dumped You First," which didn't even make it into the film. Appalling! I know. It may be the best Belle and Sebastian album yet!

Music from the Motion Picture Almost Famous

“Listen to Tommy with a candle burning, and you’ll see your entire future!” Referring to the album Tommy by The Who, this line is spoken by Anita Miller (Zooey Deschanel) at the beginning of this movie, my all time favorite movie! The soundtrack has seventeen songs from the 70’s or earlier and that doesn’t even come close to touching all the music in the movie! You’ve got Bowie, Simon and Garfunkel, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Beach Boys, Cat Stephens, and so much more. The movie and the soundtrack make you realize how much importance and value music holds. The awesome gal you see on the cover– that would be Ms. Penny Lane played by Kate Hudson.  One of her famous lines is: “I always tell the girls never take it seriously. If you never take it seriously, you never get hurt. If you never get hurt, you always have fun. And if you ever get lonely, you can just go to the record store and visit your friends.” I don’t know about you, but that just makes me want to go to a record store and listen this movie soundtrack. 

Other rockin’ soundtracks include: 

Music from and Inspired by the Motion Picture Because I Said So

This is where I discovered The Weepies and KT Tunstall.

Music from the Motion Picture Garden State

The entire soundtrack is on old playlist of Zach Braff’s (the actor who plays the main character). So cool!

Wes Anderson Soundtracks: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Fantastic Mr. Fox

Seu Jorge sings Lou Reed songs in Portuguese and plays them on a classical guitar for the Life Aquatic. What more could you ask for? Listen to “These Days” by Nico from Royal Tenenbaums and prepare for kitschy, cheesy old tunes from Fantastic Mr. Fox. 

This soundtrack is all folk and bluegrass and funny songs. You get  Alison Krauss and that song “The Big Rock Candy Mountains,” plus, when you hear the Soggy Bottom Boys sing a song, all you can imagine is George Clooney in a fake beard dancing like a hillbilly. 

Thanks for reading. Listen away, music lovers! 

Laura Grace Sears is a sophomore aspiring to write for television, a dream inspired by the massive amounts of tv she watches. She enjoys people, pop culture, clothes and many other great things that would be of no use in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Nevertheless she continues to wallow in the creative parts of life. You can find her music page at facebook.com/MusicLauraGrace and follow her on pinterest at pinterest.com/lauragracesears.