Michael Tobias: Distinguished Scholar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Dr. Michael Charles Tobias, a distinguished scholar of Georgia College, is involved in multiple areas of our Bobcat community for the 2016 spring semester. During his time here he will be teaching the Philosophy class Embracing Coexistence as well as giving numerous public and private seminars pertaining to his fields of study and co-hosting the Bio Reverie documentary. Tobias has a Ph.D. in the History of Consciousness from the University of California-Santa Cruz with a specialty in global ecological ethics and the interdisciplinary humanities. The overarching idea of Tobias’s venture focuses on humanity’s relationship to the natural world, both in historic and contemporary cultures. Having conducted field research in over eighty countries, his wide-ranging work encompasses art, comparative literature and spirituality, the history of ideas, philosophy, bio-ethics and natural history in the context of a multitude of possible future scientific, geo-political, economic and social scientific scenarios. He is the author of over fifty books and has written, directed and/or produced over one hundred films. In accepting the residency, Dr. Tobias noted, “I am extremely honored to have been selected for this wonderful residency, and look forward to collaborating with the students, faculty and community on a wide range of humble projects, discussions, pro-seminars, events, endeavors and important initiatives.”

Tobias’ upcoming events are as follows:

Bio Reverie

Dr. Tobias and Angela Criscoe are executive producers of the documentary film, “Bio Reverie” which will document an event in which participants will examine and share their appreciation of the biodiversity in our region.

Bio Reverie Experience – Contact Angela Criscoe (angela.criscoe@gcsu.edu) if you wish to be a participant in this experience and film.

Saturday, February 13,2016

8:00am-8:00pm

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Ecological Issues in the Context of Human Population and Women’s Rights

3:30pm-5: 30pm

A&S Auditorium

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Ecology and Industrialized Agriculture

2:00 – 3:15 p.m.

A&S Auditorium

Thursday, March 31 2016

Animal Rights: A Discussion with Ingrid Newkirk, President of P.E.T.A.

3 pm – 5 p.m.

A&S Auditorium

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Environment in Liberal Arts

3:00 – 4:00 p.m.

A&S Auditorium

Monday, April 25, 2016

Yasuni- A Meditation on Life

5:30-7:00pm

A&S Auditorium

Sarah Dumas is a Rhetoric major with a Philosophy minor at Georgia College. Starstruck by the city life, she hopes to dwell in a New York City loft sipping coffee over case files from her law firm while also eating a croissant her newfound bakery created. Sarah loves to travel, having been to 19 countries thus far, and in her free time enjoys painting.