March for Our Lives Highlights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

On Saturday, March 24, 2018, 1.2 million people participated in March for Our Lives, a nationwide movement to protect the lives of school children.

This movement, created and led by students across the country who demand changes for existing gun laws, has one mission: to end school shootings. Last month’s tragic shooting at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School, where 17 innocent lives were lost, ignited a flame in the survivors. They, along with thousands of others across the US, that the time to talk about gun reform is now.

Over 450 events promoting March for Our Lives occurred across the country this weekend. Thousands of clever signs were proudly carried, and many important figures made speeches. One of the most moving speakers was Emma Gonzalez, a survivor of the Parkland shooting. She stood for six minutes and 20 seconds, the amount of time it took the shooter to take those 17 lives. Watch her speech here

Via CNN

In addition to the speeches made, people created the most clever, powerful signs. 

“A six year old just handed this to me,” via Laura Koenig on Twitter.

“Phil, a college student at George Mason U,” via Stephanie McNeal on Twitter.

Multiple celebrities also showed their support by participating in different March for Our Lives events across the country.

Adam Scott and Aubrey Plaza in Washington, DC

Via Twitter

Hayley Williams of Paramore

Via Tumblr

Lady Gaga

Via Us Weekly

Her Campus GCSU Campus Correspondent. Senior Mass Communication major with a focus in Journalism. Cat mom, writer, avid concert-goer, iced coffee addict.