Kelly Carelson: From Actor to Director

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Kelly Carelson, 21, is a Theatre major with a passion. She entered Georgia College and State University with the intent to study something more practical, but the call of the theatre was too loud. “As cliché as it sounds, theatre is my passion. I can’t imagine doing anything else or want to do anything else,” she says. She is an incredibly talented actor and insanely busy college student. She strives for excellence and works hard in the face of any challenge. This can be seen clearly this year when Kelly takes on something outside her comfort zone: directing.

For Kelly, acting and becoming another character is second nature by now. But she does admit that there is a stark difference between being an actor and being a director: “When I’m acting, I build a character for the stage and that’s my sole focus. But as a director, I have to decide on what kind of story to tell. It’s a much harder and a much bigger job.” Though she confesses she is still learning a lot from her Directing I class, she has enjoyed this experience and is excited to figure out what kind of director she will become. Right now, her vision for the play she is directing this fall is still in the works.

When I asked Kelly what drew her to the scene she chose, she couldn’t help but smile. W;t by Margaret Edson is a beautiful and tragic play about an ovarian cancer patient, Vivian, who is stubborn, witty, and yet strong through it all. While the play focuses on the life of Vivian, it also brings in the battle between the coldness of strict research, through the character Jason, and the effects of the warmness of humanity, through the character Susie. Kelly specifically chose this play because of its incredible story. “It’s so well-written,” She exclaims. “And relatable!” She knew W;t was the right play for her because it “inspired a vision for the stage.” The play also struck a chord with Kelly because it deals with ovarian cancer, the “silent killer” among women. For Kelly, this disease and the need for a cure mean much to her because it’s her sorority’s, Sigma Alpha Omega, philanthropy. She says, “It was truly an answered prayer.”

While the audience should expect some serious and mature themes, this play will also dig at the deeper questions of humanity, life, death, and the effect of cancer on so many lives.

Directing Scenes will be taking place December 5th and 6th at 7pm each night at the Black Box Theatre downtown. There is no charge for tickets! Kelly’s scene will be performed December 6th. I, for one, will be sitting in the front row. 

Author of the Forget Me Not Trilogy. Drinker of too much coffee. Obsessed with all things French. Owner of pink, sparkly things. In love with Jesus!