This is Kali Kimball: Woman of the Hour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

I have had the honor to get to know Kali over the past two years, and she is quiet a person. Never have I met someone so head-strong, brilliant, and just all around amazing. This week Her Campus had the opportunity to interview her, here is what we learned. 

Her Campus: What year in college are you?

Kali Kimball: Junior

HC: What is you’re major?

KK: Computer Science

HC: What made you decide to major in that?

KK: I came into college as a math major, and one of the requirements was to take CSCI 1301 (which is an introductory Java course). I realized I loved Computer Science and I hated Calculus, so I’ve never looked back since!

HC: Being in a typically male dominated major, do you feel like you have limitations?

KK: The field of Computer Science certainly does not have as much diversity as it needs right now which is a big issue, but I wouldn’t say that I personally face limitations. It’s more so that companies are facing the limitations because they don’t have diverse minds (both male and female) developing their products, and this forces them to miss out on key ideas. When I first began my upper level courses, I felt a bit awkward and out of place being either one of two girls or even the only girl in the class, but I have found that most of the people in the department are so welcoming and I don’t feel awkward anymore. I have also found that I have a plethora of opportunities available to me just because I am a woman in Computing.

HC: What do want to do with your major? How are you preparing yourself for your future goals?

KK: I don’t actually know for sure yet, but I am trying to find the different parts of Computer Science that I enjoy since it is such a complex field with many career paths I could take. So far, I am interested in Security and Artificial Intelligence! I do know that I would like to go to graduate school, so to prepare for this I am getting research experience, keeping a high GPA, and staying active on campus!

HC: You had an internship, could you tell us about it?  How did you go about applying for them?

KK: Last summer, I did a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) at Montana State University. To apply , I went to the NSF REU website, and found a few programs that I liked. I submitted my resume, professor recommendations, and a personal statement to each. I ended up choosing to go to Bozeman, MT, and it was probably the best summer of my life so far! I learned so much about software security, quality assurance, and research as a whole which will prepare me for graduate school. I was also able to explore Bozeman, Montana which is absolutely gorgeous.

HC: Are you involved in extracurricular activities at school?

KK: Yes! I am a Community Advisor on campus in Adams Hall, I am in the Georgia Education Mentorship (GEM) program, the Honors program, and I recently joined the Georgia College Women in Technology club which is awesome!

HC: How do you handle your school life and social life?

KK: It’s so difficult! I am so busy this year, so my planner has become my life line. I pretty much have to schedule my social life, but it’s still a nice balance.

HC: How do you like to relax?

KK: I love napping, eating, being outdoors, hiking, being with friends, watching K-dramas, and having Bob Ross painting parties!

HC: Do you have any hobbies?

KK: Reading, painting, and exercising!

HC: What was the last either really fulfilling or exciting thing you have done?

KK: I was able to attend the Grace Hopper Conference for Women in Computing earlier in October, and it was so amazing! I was surrounded by so many women in Computing, I got to hear Melinda Gates speak to us, I interviewed with a few companies for internships next summer (I got one!), and I even got to go to Disney for the first time!

HC: What are you really passionate about?

KK: I love animals, and it’s my dream to open a rescue one day!

HC: What is something you have always wanted to do, but were afraid to?

KK: Traveling and being on airplanes in general, but I am so so so glad I did!

HC: If you could describe yourself in three words, what would they be?

KK: Candid, compassionate, and cheerful

HC: If you were meeting yourself for the first time, what would be your first impression?

KK: Probably “wow she’s tall” because that’s what everyone else says lol

HC: Do you have any advice for underclassmen?  

KK: It sounds cliche, but be yourself & be confident! Also, if you are wondering whether you should apply to something or not because you think you don’t have a chance, do it! That’s what I thought about Montana :)

Well, we hope this has given you a better insight to who Kali is as a person. If you see her around campus be sure to say “hello” or wave! We’re glad you got to know, this woman of the hour! 

Mariah is a senior psychology major, who has aspirations to work in the library science field. She enjoys listening to music and making playlists, playing board games, and crafting. She enjoys writing for Her Campus because it gives her the chance to share unconventional articles that would otherwise not be published, while at the same time promoting female empowerment.