Justin Dickinson: Your Friendly Neighborhood CA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Do you know Justin Dickinson? Because you should. Though Justin claims that he doesn’t “have as many random interactions with people as [he] used to,” he’s still widely known, especially if you’re a CA (Community Advisor) or a resident of Bell Hall.

Justin is a soon-to-be 22 year old majoring in Psychology and minoring in Creative Arts Therapy. He’s a senior at GCSU who will be graduating this May. He’s also a CA, and has been since his sophomore year of college. You heard me right. After his freshmen year in Bell, Justin became a CA the very next year. He was one of the youngest to join, and he doesn’t regret his decision in the least.

When asked what made him want to be a CA, he said, “Wanting to be a CA is never really something I questioned. From the minute I arrived at Bell Hall I knew that I wanted to apply and work in my building.” From day one he was dedicated, and he hasn’t lost that dedication. Just ask around Bell and I’m sure most everyone will know his name, or be familiar with his unforgettable programs. His efforts don’t go unnoticed. I know when I was a resident of Bell, I admired his consistent work ethic and diligence.  

The thing about Justin is that he’s not your typical CA. He doesn’t just sit in his room and wait for a problem to arise; he’s proactive. Justin is often seen around Bell talking with and befriending residents. As Justin told me, he sees his residents as friends, and his fellow CAs as family. He’s been in the business long enough that this shouldn’t come as a surprise, but it does, because many CAs don’t go out of their way to befriend residents. But Justin will. He’s respectful, but can be authoritative when needed; he’s a good balance between friendly and no-nonsense. Basically, he’ll be your friend, but won’t be afraid to put his foot down. Yet, he’ll always treat you as his equal, and that’s something to be admired.  

Not only is Justin a hardworking CA, but he’s an equally hardworking Psych major. This summer, he will be interning at the Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park in Fort Walton Beach Florida where he will be a marine mammal training intern. He’ll also learn how to care for and train various animals at the facility. When asked how he prepared for this opportunity, he said he “utilized [his] knowledge of Learning Psychology and [his] experience in Dr. Kristina Dandy’s Animal Learning and Behavioral pharmacology lab.” His minor will also help him as he closely works with dolphins that will later be used to help children with disabilities.

Some fun facts about Justin are that he’s an older brother, he loves to swim, he enjoys music, and he adores animals, movies, games, and his friends.

I frequent social media sites and adore corgis. People say I'm addicted to the internet. (It's kinda true.) I'm a graduate of GCSU.