Jackie M. Ward: Trailblazing Businesswoman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Jackie Ward is one of our nation’s most esteemed female businesswomen, who just happened to receive her undergraduate degrees in psychology and mathematics from right here at Georgia College. She went on to attend the prestigious London School of Business and earn a Doctor of Laws from Mercer University. Ms. Ward attended the university when it was still the Georgia State College for Women.  

She started out her career in 1968 when she co-founded the Computer Generation Inc. and served as its President, CEO, and Chairman of the Board. She has also worked high up in various other corporations including General Electric and Sysco. Ms. Ward is basically better at multitasking than anyone you know. She has served consecutively on many different well known boards. Here is a list just to give you an idea:

Member of the Board of Anthem 

Member of the Board of Bank of America (1994-)

Member of the Board of Computer Generation (as Chairman, 2000)

Member of the Board of Equifax (1999-)

Member of the Board of Flowers Industries, Inc. 

Member of the Board of Intec Telecom Systems (2000-)

Member of the Board of Sanmina-SCI (2001-)

Member of the Board of SCI (1992-2001)

Member of the Board of Sysco (2001-)

Member of the Board of Trigon Healthcare, Inc. 

Member of the Board of Wellpoint Health Networks (2002-) 

(fourth from right, standing)

Crazy, right? And that’s not all, she has been featured in Forbes, The Huffington Post, and Bloomberg Businessweek. A prominent citizen of Atlanta, Ms. Ward was part of the Atlanta Business Roundtable, helped with the George W. Bush for President campaign, was in the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce (past Chairman), and is a member of the Society of International Business Fellows.

But most of all, she is one of our very own “distinguished alumni” of Georgia College’s Academy of Distinguished Alumni and Friends.