How to Survive a Power Outage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Just recently, the Polar Vortex again attacked most of Georgia with snow and ice. Milledgeville was not spared as classes were cancelled for two days straight. Good thing too, because over 10,000 Milledgevillians lost power for those two days. Some still haven’t regained it! My apartment complex was lucky; we got power back the next day. However, the wait was tiresome and long. It was also very, very cold. So, without further ado, I give you five tips on how to survive a power outage.

Buy Supplies

If the weatherman tells you it’s going to get cold and icy: IT’S GOING TO GET COLD AND ICY. Listen to him, and drive to your nearest convenience/grocery store and stock up on supplies. My roommate did, and we survived the Snow/Icepocalypse relatively warm and intact. The day before the ice is about to hit, purchase lots of candles (and if you have some already, perfect!), matches, and nonperishable foods. That way, when you’re trapped at home trying to keep in the heat, you don’t have to brave the icy roads! Preparation level at 100%.

Distract Yourself

It’s going to get cold when the power goes out. It’s going to get cold fast. What better way to not think about the cold then to find a distraction! Trust me, it works. The more preoccupied you are, the less worried you are about freezing to death! Simply light some candles, invite over some equally cold friends, then play some board games. Nothing can be more distracting. Or you can simply talk the night away. And before you know it, the lights will be back on, and your house toasty warm.

Gather Blankets

I’m sure you have blankets. And if you don’t, ask around. Ask roommates, neighbors, friends. Someone is bound to have blankets. (And if you don’t have any, buy some before the ice hits!) Blankets are by far the best way to keep warm during the Icepocalypse, especially if you don’t have a gas fire. Just wrap yourself in one and you’re good to go. Surrounding yourself with candles will help as well. Just as long as you don’t move, you’ll be warm in your woolen cocoon.

Huddle Together

If you lack blankets or candles or anything necessary to keep you warm: use body heat. It’s the best way to keep warm. It’s also a great way to get to know someone. Never met this person in your life but don’t want to freeze? Hug it out. You’ll be fast friends. You can even cuddle up with friends. Doesn’t have to be a stranger. If you have blankets and candles, even better. Huddling up under a blanket is bound to warm you and your body-heat-buddy that much faster. You’re in this together.

Sleep

You know the best way to survive the Icepocalypse? Sleep. It’s perfect. The power goes out, the temperature is dropping, and all you have are blankets, candles, and some friends. Just grab a blanket, grab a friend, light a small, non-threatening candle, then go to sleep. When you wake up, the power may be back on. Or you’ll wake up to the lights turning on simultaneously. Either way, you’ll have gotten in some good, warm sleep. You’ll have survived till the next day! Yay!

I frequent social media sites and adore corgis. People say I'm addicted to the internet. (It's kinda true.) I'm a graduate of GCSU.