Hipster Cutie: Vanessa Volz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Meet Vanessa, a Junior Special Education major who loves sports, Jesus and her friends.

Basics

Name: Vanessa Volz 

Hometown: Peachtree City, aka the golf cart bubble 

Year: Junior

Major: Special Education

Relationship Status: Dating Someone

Favorites:

Late Night Snack: Cheez-its or Chocolate

Activity: Either playing with dogs or spending quality time with those close to me and just hearing about their life

Holiday: A tie between Christmas and Thanksgiving

Place To Be: She loves the lake and the mountains, so anywhere those two things are. She also loves being home with her family; it’s a pretty great place to be.

Memory at GCSU: Surprising her best friend, Christal, in her back yard with 75 people for her birthday! Vanessa says, “it was the greatest moment. Seeing someone witness how loved they are is truly a beautiful sight.”

Book: Redeeming Love

TV Show: Scandal or Baby Daddy. Vanessa, along with the rest of the world, agrees Olivia Pope is a boss. 

Questions:

What campus activities are you involved in?

“I work for Rec Sports and keep score for all intramural games. It’s a great job that gives me the opportunity to meet many new people, while also watching people play sports. I am a huge fan of sports and meeting new people, so this job is everything I could ask for. Along with score keeping intramurals, I also play them as well. I am currently on five different teams; I love competition. I also try my best to go to Wesley and House church each week, but sometimes school gets busy and I am unable to attend. My faith is a big deal to me. I am also in Kappa Delta sorority.” 

How would you describe your personal style?

“I honestly don’t know how to answer this, so I asked my roommate and she said ‘Hipster’. I like to wear things that are trendy, but comfortable. Comfort is definitely key.”

What are some of your goals in life?

“I want to have a job that I absolutely love. Have a family one day would also be great. I also want to share the gospel with others who may not know about it.”

What do you hope to be when you grow up?

“Once I am finished with college, which will not be fore awhile, I want to be a Speech Pathologist. However, I will also be a certified Special Education teacher, so I hope to be doing either of those in the future.”

What is some advice that you would give Freshman?

“Make the most of your time at college, but don’t forget to stay on top of your schoolwork. Four years will fly by. Trust me; I have no idea where my last two years went. Take the time to make new friends and build meaningful relationships with the people around you. These are the friendships you will carry with you the rest of your life. Remember to surround yourself with good community, because when life gets hard and school begins to pick up, it is the closest people to you that will help you get through it. As well as the big man upstairs, aka, my main man Jesus. Do not lose sight of who you are, but continue to learn and grow in the person that you are meant to be.” PREACH, Vanessa, preach.

Hi Her Campus readers! I'm a Senior Mass Communications major, Netflix fanatic and everything caramel-based lover. You can always find me hanging out with my friends, watching Grey's Anatomy, eating Barberitos or doing all three at the same time! I'm Social Media/Public Relations chair for both Her Campus and CURE GC and love to support other organizations on campus that I have a passion for. I hope one day to go on a mission trip before my "big girl life" starts and then either do Public Relations for an amazing company close to my heart, like Her Campus or CURE, or open a clothing store of my own and donate a cut of the profits to different charitites each month. However for now, I'm going to take it day-by-day and enjoy what's left of my college career! XO, Katelyn.