This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

What is there to say about Matthew Sampson? A lot actually, because he is just an amazing person. I’ve gotten to know Matthew over the past few months, and I can honestly say I have never met someone like him before; which is a good thing! This week Her Campus had the opportunity to interview Matthew and change up our typical profile interviewee. 

Her Campus: What year are you?

Matthew Sampson: Junior

HC: What is your major?

MS: French

HC: Why did you decide to go with that major?

MS: I decided to go with French, because I love languages, and French is the only language that I feel like I would be able to utilize. There’s Spanish, and you are either working in Europe or South America, and I don’t care to work in those places. With French, there’s North Africa, France, Gianna, West Africa, and I would really like to work in areas like that.

HC: What do you hope to do with your major?

MS: I want to work for the Federal Government in the Department of Defense or Foreign Service.

HC: How have you enjoyed your stay at Georgia College?

MS: Mainly good, but there have been some bad times.

HC: Are you involved on campus?

MS: Yes. I am an officer in the French Club. I used to be involved in Bobcat Beats and Choir. I am a Community Advisor, and I advise over my Halls Community Council. I am also a French tutor.

HC: How do you manage your social, academic, and work life?

MS: I don’t usually plan a lot of things, they sort of just happen. I’ll go to the library, to do school work, and I’ll see a friend, and I’ll end up sitting with them and talking. For work, whenever I have free time I’ll do something. I’m not really a planner, but I do have fun.

HC: You seem to be a really friendly and social person. How do you think those qualities help you in life? Do you think they are accurate?

MS: I think those qualities help because it makes me easier to talk to. I like to help people through problems and being someone that is social helps with that.

HC: What was the last exciting thing that you did with your friends?

MS: My friend Luke and I went to Murder Creek today (November 4th).

HC: How would you think your friends would describe you if they were talking about you to another person?

MS: Funny. Loves his friends. Good singer. Has a calming presence. Very insightful. 

HC: How would you describe yourself?

MS: I think I am nice and genuine. I aspire to grow and be a better person in all aspects, and just improve on myself all the time.

HC: If you were meeting yourself for the first time, what would be your first impression?

MS: That I have cool glasses. That I was probably nervous. I get nervous around the people I like, or love and know a lot about them.

HC: Do you have any hobbies?

MS: I like to sing, play video games, study languages when I have the time, and watch YouTube videos.

HC: What is your favorite pastime?

MS: Having intimate moments with my friends.

HC: What is something that you have always wanted to do, but we’re afraid?

MS: I don’t know. I’m usually not afraid to do things.

HC: Do you have any advice about life that you would like to share with us?

MS: Growth is a necessary part of life. If you’re not growing you’re not doing it right. Also, love yourself. If you don’t love yourself, you won’t ever be happy.

Thank you to Matthew for letting us take a moment of your time and ask you questions. I hope this has given you a little insight as to who Matthew is! If you see him around on campus be sure to introduce yourself and say hello! 

Mariah is a senior psychology major, who has aspirations to work in the library science field. She enjoys listening to music and making playlists, playing board games, and crafting. She enjoys writing for Her Campus because it gives her the chance to share unconventional articles that would otherwise not be published, while at the same time promoting female empowerment.