Georgia College Leader: Lauren Crapo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

I have had the pleasure of knowing Lauren for over a year now. She is a smart driven young woman who can always bring a smile to someone’s face. She has her Masters of Public Administration from Georgia College. Lauren currently is the Executive Director of Programming for the Campus Activities Board and was a part of the homecoming and homecoming concert committees as well as being a member of Omicron Delta Kappa. She also had the opportunity to be a graduate assisstant for the Department of Government and Sociology. Lauren has accomplished many things during her time at Georgia College and I know that the Campus Activities Board will continue to grow in the future thanks to all of Lauren’s hard work.

HC: How have you enjoyed your time serving as the Executive Director of Programming for the Campus Activities Board? What all does your position entail? 
LC: I have really enjoyed this past year in CAB. I really think this is the best executive board we have ever had. There are so many new events that we have done and everything has been overly successful. My job really just entails of all programs running smoothly. If one of the directors wants to put on an event, they usually come to me and see if I think it would be a good idea! I also have weekly meetings with our other executive director of administration and faculty advisor to brainstorm ideas and make sure that CAB is operating the way it should. 

HC: How did you become involved with CAB originally? 
LC: I started CAB my sophomore year as an impact team member. My junior year and half of my senior year I was the director of Bobcat Events. Then, second semester of my senior year I became the executive director of administration. I started grad school in August 2013 and continued my position as executive director of administration, but halfway through the year switched to executive director of programming. I have been in this position ever since!

HC: What is your favorite event that you put on during the year? 
LC: Definitely midnight breakfast! It’s one of those events that everyone knows about and looks forward to! 

HC: What were some goals that you set for yourself with this position and do you think you have been able to achieve those goals?
LC: My biggest goal was to make sure I am leaving CAB in good hands. I have been part of the organization so long so it’s tough to leave something and not know how well it’s going to do in the future. However, I know for a fact that the person taking over my position is going to do an exceptional job and maybe an even better job than I have done! 

HC: What have you learned from from this position? 
LC: I have learned how to allow people to do their own jobs. I’m usually a person that likes to do everything myself, but being a part of CAB has shown me how to make compromises and to work as part of a team. 

HC: What would you tell someone who is interested in joining the CAB team and the leadership opportunities CAB offers? 
LC: Do it! I have made my best friends through CAB and it has been one of the best decisions of my college career. Also, it’s an organization that is super laid back and allows you to make connections with people that could be helpful in the future. As long as you are passionate about events, there are so many opportunities for leadership positions. It can be stressful at times, but in the end it is usually worth it!
My name is Nicole Gilmartin and I am a Senior Mass Communication major with a digital media minor. I have a passion for traveling and was fortunate enough to spend my spring semester of my sophomore year in Florence, Italy. I enjoy all things social media related and anything that lets my creativity show!