Four Ways to Get Organized This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Since it’s the beginning of a new semester, it’s necessary to get organized right away so you can start out on the right foot. I know that if I don’t stay organized at the start of a semester, it’s very difficult for me to get into the swing of things. There are so many reasons why you should get/stay organized—the most important one being that it’s a key factor for success, whether it’s academic, business, or personal. I’ve been told that a cluttered room equals a cluttered mind, and I think the same logic can be applied to organization of homework, assignments, or other commitments you might have. I know that forgetting important things such as test dates or paying rent can be stressful, so here are four tips that can help!

1. Use a calendar/agenda.

This is the most important piece of advice! At the end of each month, I plan ahead by writing down the dates for assignments or events that are happening in the upcoming month. I use a weekly agenda that I found in Target for around $10. The inside of it contains a monthly calendar as well as a weekly breakdown, and it’s perfect for helping me stay on top of things. Instead of writing down my homework the class period before it’s due, I will write down a whole month’s worth of assignments. I know that if I write down an assignment two days before it’s due, I will probably forget about it, and sometimes I’ll even forget to write down my homework. Most professors will give you a course schedule in your syllabus, so definitely utilize this tool. It also helps to color code your classes using different colored pens or highlighters. I also have a monthly calendar hanging on the wall in front of my desk where I write down due dates and any other things that are going on during the month. If you don’t want to go out and buy a calendar or agenda, you can find plenty of free printables online—I suggest calendars from here, here, or here.

Alternatively, there are calendar apps for your phone or computer that you can use if you don’t think you can keep up with a physical agenda.

2. Prioritize your schedule.

There are definitely some things that are more important than others, and it’s up to you to determine which ones need to be a priority. For me, school comes before extracurricular activities, and some organizations I’m a part of are more important than others. At the beginning of the semester, figure out what is important to you and make sure that you schedule accordingly. If you need to miss a film club meeting to work on a group project, make sure that you stick to your decision! The same goes if you want to play in your intramural soccer game but have a big test coming up—make sure that you set aside additional time to study. If you do this, it can help reduce your stress levels when you need to make decisions about planning because you’ve already determined your priorities.

3. Make a to-do list.

This might seem a little obsessive if you’ve already planned our your month, but I promise it really does make a difference in the long run. I don’t do this every day, but when I know I have particularly busy days coming up, I’ll make a to-do list for my day. Essentially, I plan out my entire day by listing everything that needs to get done. As soon as I finish something, I’ll cross it off my list. There’s something weirdly satisfying about being able to watch your list get shorter and shorter. If you don’t want to physically write down your list, there are also apps for this too! Also, if I feel like I have too much to do and that I might forget something, sometimes I will set a reminder with an alarm in my phone.

4. Separate your course materials.

Some people might think that this is arbitrary, but I think that it helps me keep track of my schoolwork, and it’s something I will do in my professional job. I have a different colored folder for all my classes, and I keep my notes for each class in a separate section of a five-subject notebook. I used to use a one-subject notebook, but I would forget to switch them out in my backpack, so I find that this is a better alternative for me. If you take notes on your computer or have to write a lot of papers, make sure that you give each class its own unique folder as well! I even go as far as having my notes/papers organized by semester too. Having each course separate from the others will eliminate the stress of having to search around for materials when you need them.

Tina is a senior English major at Georgia College, with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in French. She loves cats even though she is allergic to them, staying in bed all day and watching Netflix, and nail polish. She hopes that she will be a published author one day and also wants to teach college English. She is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Eta Mu chapter), and green is her favorite color. You can follow her on twitter at @teenz_ng