stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Five Steps to Get Rid of Lingering Flu Symptoms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

FINALLY, the flu us starting to clear up around campus. Though sometimes its symptoms like to stick around for awhile even once you’re technically “better.” Here are a few tips to help you deal with some og those lingering symptoms from the flu or a cold:

1) Take antihistamines. 

Sometimes some of the worst symptoms can be sinus headaches and mucus, and an antihistamine will certainly help relieve that even just a little bit. A saline solution goes a long way in helping clear your sinuses as well.

2) DRINK ALL THE WATER!

Okay, maybe not all the water, but at least half your body weight in ounces. You’re supposed to drink this much every day, but let’s be honest. Not too many people actually do that. But it makes a huge difference if you do it while you’re sick! It helps flush everything out of your body and can help thin any annoying mucus that’s still sticking around from when you were sick. 

3) Take a multivitamin.

Preferably one with vitamin C! Or even just drink a pack of Emergen-C everyday until you’re feeling better! Everyone knows vitamin C is one of the number one things you should take to help you get well faster.

4) Continue to Get Enough Rest.

I know once you’re back at school after having missed a few days due to the flu, its hard to not push yourself to do way more than you should be doing right now. But if you don’t continue to get plenty of rest, your body may just get sick again before you can get rid of one illness.

5) GO BACK TO THE DOCTOR

Please, if it has been a couple weeks and your symptoms have yet to go away, PLEASE go to the doctor. Sometimes the flu can turn into something else, and that’s never fun. But you’re not going to get any better if you don’t do anything about it. So make an appointment at the Wellness Center!

Hopefully the worst of flu season is behind us, but just in case its not, take care of yourselves! 

Skyler Wilkes is a junior Theatre and Creative Writing double major at GCSU! Skyler enjoys reading, traveling, red lipstick, and How I Met Your Mother. You can follow her on Instagram @skylerelizabethh