gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dealing With Committment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

I want you to do something for me. I want you to read this whole article and comment about it below in the “comments” section. I don’t care what you write, so long as it is appropriate and respectful for others who may view this. What I have just asked you to do are two things: the first being to read the whole article and the second being to comment something below. That doesn’t seem like too much to do, right? If it does seem like a lot you have to do, try and just do one of my requests. The simplest would be to read the whole article, because commenting about something can be a bit daunting, especially with your name being tagged to it. Does this seem like something easy that you, as the reader, would be able to commit to? Now that was just a simple example of what it means to commit to something or someone, if you will. By clicking on the article, you have already made a commitment in your unconscious mind to read and complete it. All you have to do is follow through with it. Which this is an easy task for those who are loyal and have no problems with commitment.

Let’s now change the idea of reading this article to something a little more heavy. Let’s talk about commitment in a relationship. With a relationship, you should both know what you are getting yourself into. You wouldn’t just jump into something without having laid out the ground “rules” first. Either way, what I am trying to say is that, you both are committed to each other. You made a commitment that you would stick with one another through thick and thin, or what have you. As we all know that doesn’t always work out. It hurts when you think someone is committed to something, then all of a sudden they think it is okay to drop the ball, but not provide an explanation. People are complicated when it comes to connecting and sharing with one another. Here is another example, a more relatable one. Let’s say you are a member of an organization. You have been in this organization for a while now, so you know the groundwork and expectations of it. At least I would hope that you would. Wouldn’t it make sense that if when you joined the club you were very committed, to now you would have that same level of commitment? It all just seems very simple: If you can’t keep that full commitment to the club, wouldn’t it make sense for you to just leave and move on with your life instead of being dragged along in something you don’t really want to do anymore?

If these examples sound at all familiar to you, it is because you are either not whole-heartedly committing to something yourself or you are witnessing a lack of commitment in something you are involved in.

Thank you for committing to reading this article, at least I hope you finished it. I also hope this has someone opened your eyes a little. 

Mariah is a senior psychology major, who has aspirations to work in the library science field. She enjoys listening to music and making playlists, playing board games, and crafting. She enjoys writing for Her Campus because it gives her the chance to share unconventional articles that would otherwise not be published, while at the same time promoting female empowerment.